Acquired Daylilly seeds

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by dasha, Sep 8, 2008.

1. dasha

dasha Active Member

I planted a Daylilly this summer and was able to get a lot of seeds from it when the new pods opened. How do I go about eventually planting them to get more Daylillies. I have them standing now. Do I keep them moist or what? Can anyone help me?

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Day lily seeds are used only for developing new varieties, and should be planted as soon as ripe. Seed won't come true. Clumps can be split anytime, but is best done in spring or fall. Be sure each division has at least three sprouts. - Millet

3. dasha

dasha Active Member

You are way ahead of me on this. I am really new at this. I have some black seeds from a daylilly and need to know whether I let them stand, or put them in a moist piece of kleenex and let them sprout, or.....? Can you give me an idea because I have a lot of seeds. Thanks

4. Millet

I assume your seeds are ripe, if so, you need to plant them right away. What I mean by day lilly seed "won't come true" is that the black day lily seeds you collected, will not produce the same plant as they came from. They will produce a day lily, but it will be different than the mother plant. - Millet

5. C8luvs2gardn

C8luvs2gardn Active Member

Ok Millet,

Now you have my attention. I have the regular old orange daylily ('ditch-lily'). I know the usual way to propagate them is dig up and divide the clumps, but I'm curious about your comment that plants grown from seed wiill be different from the parent plant. In what way, i.e. colour, size, etc.?

Dasha,

Your clump of day lilies will get larger every year, even without propagating some from seed. Every few years or so you may want to divide the clump depending on how much room they are taking up, how large your bed is, etc. You can then space out the clumps, or plant the divided pieces elsewhere, and/or give some away.

Cate

6. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

Cate,
    Species come true from seed; the closer a daylily is to a particular Hemerocallis species, the more likely it is to come true from seed, or at least, not be significantly different in appearance. So-called "ditch lilies" are, at least in theory, Hemerocallis fulva, or not too far removed from the straight species, so seeds from them will probably produce something that looks pretty much like a ditch lily, no matter what other cultivar it may have been cross-pollinated with.

Modern varieties of daylilies, that have been extensively bred-up through countless cross-pollinations to produce unusual colour patterns, ruffles, petal lengths, etc., are unlikely to come exactly true from seed when cross-pollinated with some other variety.

7. Millet

Perennials, such as day lily, iris, and peonies, don't come true from seed, so they are propagated by division. Day lily seeds are used only for developing new varieties, and not for propagation. A seed that does not produce true, can produce a plant very much like its parent, some what like it parent, but on occasions a plant that shows significant deviation from its parent. Normally plants with significant deviations frequently are inferior to the parent, but are also capable of producing a flower that is equal or quite superior to it peers. - Millet

8. dasha

dasha Active Member

This is exciting! Thanks so much for the information.There is only one problem...I had read somewhere that one needs to leave the seeds sit a while, so they have sat for a week and a half and nothing has happened. Will they still work? And how long before I see something come out of the soil?