Help identifying cacti

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by HotPresent, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotPresent

HotPresent Member

Hello! :) I'm new here and would really appreciate it if someone could help me identify my cacti.

Attached Files:

2. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

2. Opuntia microdasys
    3. Mammillaria elongata
    4. Mammillaria sp.
    5. Cereus peruvianus f. monstruosus
    6. Echinopsis sp.

3. HotPresent

HotPresent Member

Thank you so much! :D

4. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

#1 looks like a fairly young Pilosocereus. P. azureus. At least that's what I was told mine was years ago which looks like yours.

5. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Re: Help identifying cacti?

Hope that means you moved them to a location where they will be getting enough light.

The problem is that they are not getting enough light. That's why the stems are elongating.

6. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I'm going to put in a bit of constructive criticism here (so listen up Cereusly Steve), but I think you may have overpotted your cacti. Apparently they like to be in a tight pot (along with a bright location ie. sun). I've found this to be true from experience and not only from books. Helps for the small root system to not be overwhelmed by such a large amount of soil. Can lead to root rot. Just a thought...

7. constantgardener

constantgardener Active Member 10 Years

Whatever #1 is, it looks like it needs more light; ditto for #6. Is it possible to move them outside for awhile? Or a brighter window, or under a grow light?

8. Cereusly Steve

Oh Chester, you are so good when you take charge. You have experience besides book learnin'? That looks really good on a resume. ;-)

How tight a pot? I've seen cactus in habitat growing out of nothing more than cracks in rocks.

Not only are they over potted, they appear to be in wet muck and not an appropriate soil for succulents.

Check this link for more info.

http://www.cactus-mall.com/clubs/faq.html

9. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

they were probably just watered when the pics were taken.

the soil DOES need to be VERY well draining though...cactus and other succulents don't like their feet to stay sopping wet - so definitely let the soil dry out well before watering again.

10. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I agree, they are all over-potted and the soil, well, it looks like muddy cereal. Find some good cactus soil and add things like, pumice, perlite and/or coarse builders sand for really good drainage.
    An inch of "root" wiggle room or a little less is all they need!

11. HotPresent

HotPresent Member

But they're growing fine? Not rotted at all...
    Except they're elongated and I will give them enough light from now on, thanks for the tip.

And as for potting and the soil, it wasn't done by me, but buy a guy who has a lot of cacti and is quite good in taking care of them, so... I dunno...

Also, I'm a bit confused when it comes to watering cacti. I have come across an information on several different sites that during hot weather cacti should be watered every day. Now, I water mine once or twice a week during the summer, and before I started doing that they weren't growing at all.

But I know that some of them need a different soil and I will look after that.

12. HotPresent

HotPresent Member

Oh, by the way... They don't appear to be in wet muck, but they'd just been watered when I took the pictures. According to the page you suggested, "On the other hand, be sure when you water your plants the pot is thoroughly soaked. A teaspoonful of water is not enough." So, that explains the "wet muck": ;)

13. HotPresent

HotPresent Member

Well, they are on my windowsill facing south-west. I think that's enough, no? I only put the shades down during the afternoon because the sun is too strong in the summer.
    And yes, they were just watered when the photos were taken. :)
    The ones in the yellow and red pots were given to me potted like that by a guy who grows cacti. They have all been growing nicely (according to me, cacti newbie), except the Mammillaria elongata one, who doesn't seem to grow at all for some reason. I treat them all the same. :/

14. HotPresent

HotPresent Member

Are you always this kind to newbies? :)

15. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(merged threads, hence the duplication of replies)

16. Chester

I'm sorry if some of your questions were met with an unfriendly attitude. I started on this forum a few years ago, and my questions were always answered patiently and positively. I hope you'll come back though. It is still that way most of the time, but there is the occasional poster who lacks subtlety.

17. HotPresent

HotPresent Member

Thank you for the encouragement. ;)

I am a complete newbie in this, and I don't have a degree in Botany or anything, but I do like plants.
    My mom has a real jungle in our garden, but doesn't know how to take care of cacti, so I took them under my wing at the start of this summer.

I have some other questions, if any of you is willing to answer...

First, my Pilosocereus azureus has a root that is bent by some 45 degrees. I think that happened because the cactus was in a wrong pot. Now, I don't know how to place it in the pot... Should I keep the roots under the 45 degree angle? Should I try to straighten them somehow? Any ideas? That is why the cactus is in a big pot, because it wouldn't have space for the root if it was in a pot even slightly smaller than this one.

Second, my Mammillaria elongata is not growing at all. All of the other cacti I have grew at least a little bit (even the tiny Opuntia), but this one doesn't grow at all even though it's treated the same as every other cacti I have. Any ideas?

18. Chester

Glad you didn't give up...Can't help you with your questions I'm afraid. Not much of a cactus expert. I do have a degree in Botany, and I'm no expert at most of this, so go figure! Anyone else?

19. constantgardener

if your cactus hasn't grown at all, you've given it water, soil, and light, and it's had plenty of time to adjust and start growing, then I'm guessing there are problems with the roots. How long ago did you get that cactus? If it's had time to adjust to being repotted and start growing, could you ask the person who gave it to you to take a look at it? Perhaps he could reassure you that it's ok or take a look at it for you. You'll need to be patient if it's a cutting or just repotted, especially for a young plant. Good luck with it.

20. Johnts71

Johnts71 Active Member

#2 does not look like a Opuntia microdasys..I have one of those

21. HotPresent

HotPresent Member

Should I repot it then?

22. constantgardener

How long since it was potted? Do you see any growth at the top of the plant at all? If you tug on it (lightly!) is there any resistance (from roots). If it's been potted for a few weeks and still no growth, you can always take it out of the pot and check the roots. While you're doing that, you could also put it in a much smaller container and look for any signs of rot and/or root mealy bugs. If there aren't any roots, I'd put it in a little coarse sand and let it start growing roots. Here's a link that might help: http://www.desertbotanical.org/index.php/gardening/growingguides/ground/rooting

23. Cereusly Steve

Is there something wrong with someone being a "newbie"? Everyone starts out as a beginner but that does not last very long.

One asking for help should be receptive to constructive criticism when they are doing things wrong. Your Opuntia microdasys making an obscene gesture should have been a clue that something is very wrong!!!

They are not doing fine. The stretched out new growth says they are not getting enough light. The soil is too rich and wet and the root will eventually rot as a result.

Yes, you should repot your plants.

They are in pots that are far too big, the soil mix is completely wrong for succulents, you are overwatering your plants and they are not getting enough light.

Do not water your plants for at least a week after they have been repotted.

Other than that, everything is perfect!!!! ;-)

BTW, that is the white spined form of Opuntia microdasys. The various forms of the species also can have yellow, cream or orange spines.

24. HotPresent

HotPresent Member

No there is no growth on the top of the plant and there is little resistance from roots. :/
    I'm gonna try to find some time to go buy some decent soil for all my cacti and some smaller pots.
    Thank you for your advice. :)

25. HotPresent

HotPresent Member

Constructive criticism is one thing and I accept it without any problem.

You being rude while criticizing is another thing.

I realize that you love plants very much and want people to take care of them properly, but your attitude is completely wrong. Just for your information, sometimes other things get in the way of taking care of your plants properly. Such things in my life right now are my friend dying from leukemia 3 weeks ago and my uncle battling with cancer.
    Now, since I don't drive, I can't go to the store and buy all the things I need for my cacti without asking my mother to go with me, and since her brother is very sick, this is the last thing she has the energy for.

I will do what I can WHEN I can do it. The last thing I need right now is someone acting the way you.

I will repot my plants. I will get them all in smaller pots.

As far as the light is concerned, they are on the windowsill facing southwest. I said before, I placed them there (and took them from my mother's... erm... care) a month or two ago. I think they'll be just fine now where they are, as I read that southwest is a good position for cacti.

Do you have any advice on my Pilocereus azureus having roots bent by 45 degrees?

Oh, and by the way... I already explained that I just watered my cacti when I took the pictures.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.