Acer shirasawanum 'Moonrise'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by xman, Sep 17, 2007.

1. xman

xman Active Member

Saw a couple of 4-5 ft trees in the Dallas arboretum a few months ago. They were in the shade and seemed to be doing great. Below is what I found on the internet

Moonrise™ - ( syn. 'Munn 001') multi-trunked, low-branching tree, mature height probably about 18 ft (5.5 m) with a similar spread. New growth emerges carmine red, the leaves cup down, then open and spread out as they turn to yellow in sun, shade leaves are lime-green. In westerm Oregon it withstands full sun with very little leaf scorch. A chance seedling of A. s. ‘Aureum’ discovered by Carl Munn, in Brooks, Oregon, grows more vigorously than ‘Aureum’ (Plant Patent 16,718, June 26, 2006).

xman

Attached Files:

2. nelran

nelran Active Member

Xman,

Beatiful tree, and hard to find. I read that this cultivar is one of the most heat tolerant of all A. Japonicums. Is it correct?

3. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

It must be to be alive in Dallas, TX! That is one tough tree.

4. nelran

nelran Active Member

It's hard to find in nurseries (at least with Internet service); but it's a good cultivar, I will try to get one for my collection.

5. xman

xman Active Member

I called and talked to Carl Munn about getting this thru mail order, but he does not do mail order. The ones released to the market are all large ones, 15 gallon and above. Metromaples in Fortworth, TX, had some new grafts, but they are all sold out. They have some large 25 gallon sizes. According to Metromaples, this does a lot better in the TX heat than the aureum Golden Fullmoon.
    But they do not look as impressive as the aureum Golden fullmoon, at least that was my impression. When I saw the above trees at the arboretum from a distance, I thought that they were orange dreams. Only when I got near did I realize that leaf structure was different. But on the positive side they looked a lot healthier and without scorch. I am planning to get one when they are more readily available, but not in a rush as I have a orange dream and a aureum golden fullmoon.

xman

6. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

Great info. Do let us know if you find a source for this cultivar. It sounds fantastic!

7. ToddTheLorax

ToddTheLorax Active Member

I bought a small plant, just a recent graft, in a two gallon can from metro maples. It isnt dead, but so far I'm not impressed with it. We'll see next year.

8. xman

xman Active Member

Todd,

I was planning to get the small grafts from metromaples when they are available. Why do you say that you are not impressed with it? Did it scorch quite a bit? I am curious on how this does in TX.

xman

9. ToddTheLorax

I wouldn't say that the cultivar isn't good plant... yet. My plant isn't a good plant. Mine is just a 1 yr graft in a two gallon can. And I never paid that much for a first year grafted planted of any variety. There is a large burl at the graft union. I had someone pick it up for me and it was abused in transit a little. When I got it I barerooted it and of course the two gallon plant is a ridiculously undplanted "band pot" seedling in a two gallon can. So it had a rough start.

Having said that it got some hot afternoon sun in central texas and didnt scorth at all until late in the year and our fall has been very dry and summery. next year will be the test.

I'd swipe some scion from the plant pictured if you can. Im sure you can propagate it as well as the vendor. Looked really amateurish.

10. xman

xman Active Member

Todd,

thanks for the heads up, makes me think twice about driving 50 miles to get one from metromaples.

xman

11. ToddTheLorax

well if a small nursery like that is going to do their own propagation, charge 35 bucks for a first year graft (in any size can?), I'd think the quality control would be better. Just not a well grown plant.

This kind of thing is common in the container nursery business, even from reputable large wholesale nurseries. I've gotten poor quality stock from some of the most reputable vendors in the biz.

12. seventrees

seventrees Active Member

Try Eastwoods Nursery. Mine is in the mail. Will be my first shirasawanum. Also looking to get Aureum, Autumn Moon, and Fairy Lights. Not sure how they will fare in the southern heat but I'll know soon.

seventrees

13. xman

xman Active Member

seventrees,

I was not able to locate a Acer shirasawanum 'Moonrise' on Eastwoods Nursery website. The forestfarm catalog however lists this.

xman

14. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

I got email from Lucile at Whitman farms (www.whitmanfarms.com) today that she will have fresh grafts of 'Moonrise' in May for $14.

I have never ordered from her before, but plan to place an order.

Also is listed at Eastwoods, but a little tricky to find the link because it is listed as A.s. 001 (japanesemaples.com/catalog/item.php?id=239)

Keith

15. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Seven,
    How did your plant from Eastwood look?

16. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I received a nice specimen yesterday from Whitman Farms. Nice color to the leaves, in spite of the fact that they got a little cooked on the delivery truck.

The leaves are more deeply divided than 'Aureum', and perhaps a little greener...

Attached Files:

17. plantoid

plantoid Active Member

California, USA, near Oakland / San Francisco
    Was it a "2-gallon" size?

18. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Yes. I believe it was the 2 gallon

19. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I bought a 7' tall Moonrise a couple years ago. The first year I had it in full shade and it did ok. Last year i put it out in full sun to see how it would do and I would say that it did not do well. This year I have it in morning shade and afternoon sun just to see how it does. I like the new growth color but it is a bit overpriced for its full season colors.

20. kbguess

I got this one last spring from Whitman farms. I neglected it a bit last year and thought I might lose it due to under watering. Has made a nice recovery. The leaves emerging now are the first to show the red coloration. Others emerged a yellow-green. In full Iowa sun right now, but I'll probably move it as we move toward summer.

shirasawanummoonrise.jpg

Keith

21. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

just got one today!! cant wait for next spring to see the new growth. got it for over half off (still wasn't cheap tho) its probably 6 feet tall and in approx 30 gall container! ill post some pics if you guys are interested!

22. kbguess

Mine is emerging with a lot more red this spring

c6b27952-1.jpg

23. amazingmaples

i have owned the tree for a few years and never been overly impressed with it. Mainly its growing habit it not really pretty. In years past the spring color has some promiss on small leaves but quickly changed to be similar to an Autunm Moon. So with all that the tree got parked in a back corner.
    I decided to go back there and take a photo of my large Wakehurst Pink and to my suprise, look what I saw.
    Now these colors impress me. Still not sure about the shape.

Attached Files:

24. rwinktown

rwinktown Active Member

fist growth, so far so good, ill post pics once its fully opened!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  25. amazingmaples

The color on the tree stayed was very nice all year. Too bad i damaged the tree by putting it in full sun.

Attached Files: