favorite pairings?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by paxi, Aug 24, 2008.

1. paxi

paxi Active Member

As I continue to daydream about my dream projects I am starting to kick around some ideas of interesting maple pairings. By interesting, I mean a variety of contrasts including color, seasonal intersest, shape, etc. One picture in particular that got my sap flowing can be found here:

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14073&d=1151560011

Any suggestions? (Pictures as always are a bonus)

(sorry forgot to mention that pic above is from the olsens frosted strawberry thread (plus a shigitatsu sawa)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Seiryu and Bloodgood, with just a glimpse of the pink of Shindeshojo
    The Shindeshojo is more prominent in the second pic

Attached Files:

3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Summer Gold & Sharon

4. paxi

paxi Active Member

ahh thats what I 'm talking about. i looked at my schematic (he sheepishly admits to spending sunday afternoon drawing out a schematic) and ironically enough I had a similiar pairing: seiryu, shaina, shindeshojo

alex, I am not familiar with either of those tree so I will take a look . Thanks for the suggestion. There is a wonderful picture of a crimson queen with a palmatifidum in vertrees that has me thinking...

5. tjcher

tjcher Active Member

I agree -- Seiryu & Bloodgood --- mmmmmmmmmm.....

6. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

I have a shin deshojo and a sangu kaku planted in front of some Llewelyn Cypress to nice affect.

I'm planning a new planting where I would like to make use of 3 maples together, in a full sun site.

Right now I'm considering a group planting of kiyohime yatsubusa with Red Pygmy and Ukigumo.

I'm also considering a maple hedge along my back property line. Might end up being a vine maple grove there along maybe 70' of fence.