Wollemi Nobilis needles turning brown

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by MickiS, Jan 11, 2008.

1. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

I received a 16 inch high, numbered, Wollemi Nobilis from my husband for Christmas. I was and am thrilled with this precious tree. However, I am concerned about brown spots on the needles which seems to be spreading. There were only a couple of brown needles when I got it Dec. 25, 2008. At this time several branches have several brown needles each.

I have followed the directions provided with it. It is in a well lit sunroom but not in direct sunlight (there has not been any sun since I received it!) And it is well watered only when dry to about 2 inches from the top. It is not standing in water and has not been given any additives by me.

Can anyone tell me what is causing the brown needles and if it will harm the plant? How do I prevent it from spreading?

Thank you
    Micki

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

How close is it to a baseboard heater?

3. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

It is about 5 feet from the heat vent. We don't keep the house too warm...about 65-66 F. during the day and 60-63 at night. It is not in any draft or heat current.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  4. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

It is situated on a coffee table in the centre of the sun room. It was placed beside the wall to make a clearer picture for posting.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Try to give it a more humid atmosphere.

6. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Thanks I will try that. Mind you isn't Australia pretty dry?

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Most of Australia is dry, but that's why Wollemia is confined to one narrow gorge which helps trap humidity. It is growing in a (very!) small pocket of temperate rainforest habitat.

8. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Makes sense. I live in a temperate rainforest myself. However, it is winter (although raining today) and rather dry inside. I will try misting it and see what happens. Thanks again.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  9. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

No we are not all dry in Australia. In fact a great deal of it is having Hurricain weather and floods. :). Australia has a huge range of climates. One city in particular the comment is wait a minute and there will be a weather change. [Melbourne]

Would it be possible to let it have some outside time as your spring comes. On another thread on Wollemi Pine they are talking about it surviving in very cold weather

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=33175

Liz

10. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Hi Liz,
    Of course with a country as large as Australia there are bound a huge range of climates. I would love to visit someday and enjoy your beautiful country.
    As to whether the Wollemi Nobilis going out in the spring, it is unlikely that I would be able to put it outside here until June. We are north of the 54. Perhaps it would survive outside around Vancouver B.C after being aclimatized but I would hesitate to take that kind of chance here where the weather can fluctuate in winter from -18 C to + 6 C. I think the freeze/thaw would be especially problematic as it is for many of our plants. Most years the weather here is -8C to +2. It was raining heavy yesterday and snowing today!
    cheers
    Micki

11. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

p.s. I am sorry to hear about the hurricanes and floods Liz. Is that unusual for Australia?
    Micki

12. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

Hi, Micki

Is the Wollemi in direct sun in your sun room? If it is, that might be the problem. Also, it is recommended to put the tree outside for one week out of four when temperatures are above freezing, so that the tree can receive some humidity and fresh air.

13. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Hi Sunset Cycads,
    Although the Wollemi is in our sunroom we have not had sun since November and it would be weak at this time of year if it did shine. ( This is a particularly dreary winter!) When it does get sunny I will not let it stay in direct sun. I will try putting it out in June for fresh air....perhaps earlier if it warms up.Thanks for the info.

14. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

I wouldn't be overly concerned about it just yet. My Wollie has gotten the odd brown needle here and there in the last five months I've had it, but it's fine.

15. CooltobeKoole

CooltobeKoole Member

Hello,

I would not keep this wollemi plant in such a small pot.
    It would be better to transplant it asap in a larger pot with a good compost.

I own 3 Wollemi in Belgium. One was planted outside in the garden in 2006 and has survived the last two winters with temperatures going as low as -4°C without damage, except with a slight browning of young leaves.

I think your plant needs freedom ...

Bye for now.

Philippe Koole

16. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Don't overfeed them tho they come from poor soils. Rich compost may be too much??

http://www.wollemipine.com/care_information.php

"Australian soils are amongst the oldest and most nutrient depleted in the world. Many of the tree species have evolved with modified roots systems such as casuarinas, banksias, hakeas etc have adjusted to the conditions, they have what's called a proteoid root system. So you will often see special fertilizers for Australian natives. Most if not all organic fertilizers are safe for natives, it's those inorganic ones you need to watch, too much P and it may burn the tree, so look for a low "P" on the NPK numbers."
    http://www.weareallabouttrees.com.au/fertilizing.html
    "

17. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Hi Philippe
    Thank you for your advice. My wollemi does not seem to have more brown needles than it did in Dec so perhaps it just needed to adjust to it's new home.

I will repot it into a larger pot as you suggested but will likely wait until April when things here start to grow.

Thanks again
    Micki

18. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Hi Liz
    Nice to hear from you again and thanks for the good advice. When I repot it I will take your information to heart.
    cheers
    Micki

19. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Hi this is Micki with an S for the new registration???
    Anyway, I wanted to let you know that my wollemi pine is doing very well. It is outside for the summer in a sunny but sheltered area next to my sunroom. We have had an inordinate amount of rain this year and it seems to be thriving.

Liz I miss your contact and would love to hear from you,

20. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Micki, I merged your old account with the new one. All of your previous posts are now labeled with MickiS.

21. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

oh thank you Daniel.