Purslane, Portulaca oleracea L

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Durgan, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

I didn't have to look far to find a sample. It is always present in my garden. Here are pictures of one of the most successful, ubiquitous plants in the world.

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?EYYPS 20 July 2008 Purslane, Portulaca oleracea L

Other Names: Portulaca, Pursley, Pusley, Pussley, Wild portulaca. This plant is an annual, reproducing only by seed, and the plant has enough nutrients in a small piece broken off that seeds can be produced.

It is pleasant to eat raw, and is a nice addition to a salad, amongst other cookery uses. This weed is ubiquitious, and seldom is a garden without this useful weed.

2. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

This shows up in our garden too, along with crab grass and oxalis--when the soil warms up. I cannot persuade my husband to regard it as a crop, however.

3. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

This year we found (to our dismay, at first) rampant purslane madly filling up any space in between rows of potatoes and beans ... we were going to hoe it out but then thought we'd see how it would do as a living mulch. We're trying to conserve water and cover up any bare earth in the veg garden, so it seemed like an idea worth trying out. The good thing about purslane is it hasn't grown under straw mulch, which is what we put around the bean plants. It has kept in its place in pathways and so far hasn't interfered too much, although it did have to be removed from around the carrots. Where I do have to pull it out it's been easy to remove.
    I wish I could say the same about the bindweed, arrgh, what a curse that is!

4. Harry Hill

Harry Hill Member

Roberts Creek, BC (Sunshine Coast) Zone 8
    I always leave a few purslane plants in the garden so I can add some of their tasty leaves to every salad. Purslane has been found to be high in Omega-3 fatty acids, which are all the rage these days. If you don't like salmon, eat your purslane!
    http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H186.htm

5. Lostmind

Lostmind Member

I actually planted purselane in my garden this year :)

I've never seen it before.... it is growing well and I hope to harvest some soon. I'm assuming you can either pull up an entire plant of pick off a few leaves here and there?

6. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Purslane is indestructable. Once it appears, it is your constant garden companion. I am regularly introducing it to various people. Apparently, it is supposed to be a great food for humans.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  7. Lostmind

Lostmind Member

Yes, I am hoping my wife likes it as she is pregnant and it apparently is a great source of omega 3 oil. Being pregnant she can't eat much of the seafood that she normally prefers due to concerns over mercury.

Glad to hear this is an easy to grow item as... I am not the greatest gardener!