Aaarrgggh: brownish spots on Ficus Alii leaves

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by always on my mind, Dec 10, 2006.

1. always on my mind

always on my mind Member

A couple of months ago I purchased a beautiful Ficus Alii. I quickly noticed something white and cottony on the bottom of some leaves and decided to spray the plant with a product designed to combat, among others "white disease" (i think). I sprayed the plant copiously and allowed the product to dry on the leaves. Eversince, my plant has been developing brown spots (see attached photograph) and has been dropping its leaves dramatically. I'm desperate!!! Can somebody please HELP!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Ficus drop their leaves at the first sign of stress (and heavy chemical sprayings sure count). The very best thing you can do for your plant is put it in a place where it gets lots of light and leave it be. Let it dry out a bit more between waterings and sit on your hands. Leaf drop on a ficus is not as big a deal as it might be with most other plants, so don't panic and love it to death. Assuming it was pretty healthy before this happend it should be fine.

M.

3. James D.

James D. Active Member

Next time you spray a plant test the product on a leaf or 2 to figure out if it is going to burn the leaves, and always rinse the product off after about 20-30 mins after application so it won't burn the leaves. your plant is going to loose the leaves that are turning brown and it will be ok, i suggest cutting it back a little bit if it drops a lot of leaves and looks laggy.

4. always on my mind

always on my mind Member

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.
    Other remarks, ne1?

5. chirita

chirita Active Member

It sounds like the "white and cottony" stuff on your plant was probably mealy bug. The best treatment for that is Neem oil. I have used it on many different types of plants and have had no problems with it. It does sound like the chemical you used was too strong for the plant. Ficus Alii is quite an easy plant to grow so if you remove the damaged leaves it should sprout new ones.

6. james douglas

james douglas Member

I have a ficus alii with the same problem.i just bought it at a plant store and the leaves
    are dropping as well.any ideas on what to do ? Also it gets no direct light.
    Should i buy a light and what kind if any? help

7. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

As stated before, Ficus drop leaves at the first sign of stress. Moving it from one location to another is very stressful for them (in your case, moving it from the store to your home). If at all possible, place your plant in direct sunshine for at least part of the day. If you can't, there are grow lights you can buy. I've never really had much to do with them so I can't really make a recommendation there.

Another cause of leaf loss could be watering...Water with tepid water, cold water may cause leaf loss. Alii does not require as much water as other Ficus and overwatering will cause leaf drop and leaf spotting.

One more consideration, try to avoid drafts. If your Ficus is in a location where it gets a draft of cold air whenever a door is opened, it will drop leaves.

8. james douglas

james douglas Member

Thank you for all the info . I am going to try the light approach and see how that works.

9. james douglas

james douglas Member

thank you . will try the light approach

10. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

sounds like what you had were mealy bugs. i've always treated them with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. quick, easy and doesn't damage the plant.

i agree with the others...if it was healthy to begin with, it's just reacting in the normal manner to being stressed (dropping leaves).

let it be for a bit (no watering for a couple of weeks) and give it decent light and it should recuperate just fine.

11. james douglas

james douglas Member

Thanks , i gave it a good shake last night and now all the brown ones
    are gone { i hope} .But will ck again tonight. i will take your advice about the watering. i really wanyt this one to thrive , everything else i have are doing well.

thanks, cu soon