Hiring a Stone Mason

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Anne58, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

I have been having a terrible time getting a reliable stone mason to rebuild a river rock wall in my yard. I have been trying since last April to get someone to do more than say "we'll be out next week to get started on it for you".

I'm on my second company/mason and I'm about ready to tear a strip off this person for the way I'm being treated but worry that if I do I'll be stuck trying to find yet another stone mason.

Do any of you know of any stone masons that are reliable and available to rebuild my 85' x 3' rock wall?? or give me some advice on how to deal with the current person who's company I'm trying to get to do the job?

Anyone's help here will be greatly appreciated

Anne

2. Chuck White

Chuck White Active Member

As the person responsible for major building construction for many years at my YMCA in the Catskills, in New York, I learned soon on that 'purveyers to the trade' often could tell me who was best at 'what'. Masons have to buy supplies. Which of them are trustworthy? Who has no unpaid bill? Who seems to be busy all the time? What carpentry contractor is busy all the time?

Then- - -

After you have the names of a couple of trades guys (in the trade you are looking for),call them up for an apointment. During your conversation with them about your job, ask for and get, names and phone numbers of at least two of their customers. IF you have an interest in what any of the guys look like (described abilities), call the people whose names you were given. If you find one you like better than another from talking to their customers, take a look at their work. From all of that, you should be able, quite handily, to select a good tradesman.

Another way is to find someone whose work you admire, and if HE/SHE is tied up, ask them who they would have to do the work you want done if it was to be done at their house. A little work, but well worth it. Who knows good masonry work better than a mason? Who knows good brick work better than a bricklayer? Etc...

3. Laughing Dog

Laughing Dog Active Member

Not sure if you are still looking, but try the Dry Stone Wall Association (http://www.dswa.ca/) as they will likely have some reference links. They have some good articles on why a dry stone wall versus a mortared one, personally I simply find them far more aesthetically pleasing.

One of their articles, entitled Garden Magic, encompasses a lot about what 'gardening' and 'landscaping' is all about.

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

you could try contacting northwest landscape supply, they are a large stone supplier for the lower mainland, they may have a short list of prefferred contractors. At this time of year expect to wait a bit to get someone new in there if they are any good they will likely have a waiting list. Also ask the contractor how they do the job, do they come in four days straight and get it done or do they run many jobs parallel and give you one day a week?

5. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

thanks for the replys. I did finally get a contractor in who had the job done in a week.

I politely phoned the other contractor and told him I no longer need his services. He couldn't be considerate of me but I felt it was the least I could do for him . . .

6. Laughing Dog

Laughing Dog Active Member

Good for you, and happy to hear you had the job completed. 85' x 3' is a substantial project, hope it turned out well. Best regards :-)