Huge and annoying bush.... but dont want to kill it!!

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Creeping Jenny, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creeping Jenny

Creeping Jenny Active Member

Thats a great idea! My hubby and little one can make a new creation together... like the dragon! lol!! Oh my poor poor flower bed, I had such dreams for it! At least I have my garden all to myself. Oh and there will be no special creations in the front yard... THAT IS ALL MINE!

2. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

That is so funny...I have a "dragon" also that I started from an Ilex hedge. My grandson comes and says "welllll I guess it looks like one". No one notices what it supposed to be but I am determined to keep working on it until finaly someone says "O look at that dragon"! Apologiies to your husband..his looks much better than mine.

3. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

Your daughter's suggestion to leave the bush there is by far the most sensible one coming out of this thread. She will no doubt grow up to be a very smart lady. :)

4. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

I second that. When the young lady is 13, boys will have replaced the Chickadees in her fancy and that is only 9 years away. Then it is time to get rid of the shrub! :)

If I sound like I am having fun, I am! :)

5. Creeping Jenny

No need for apologies, I make fun of his dragon all the time!! haha!! You should really post a picture of your dragon, Im sure he would love to see someone else has a creative dragon dream like he does!

6. Creeping Jenny

NOOOOOOO!!!! Now you are just mean!! ha ha!! Such a scary thought... but so true. At that point her dad and I will want to keep the damn bush so it can remind us of how young and sweet she once was! lol!

7. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

Hi Creeping Jenny

Is that shrub really that bad? It's hard to tell from the photo but the location doesn't seem so bad and the shrubs looks really vigourous. Maybe it looks a bit strange because it's the biggest thing there and the garden is out of balance. I'm not sure when you're planning on moving this plant but perhaps it will work with you garden re-design. Plus if you can make this plant work where it is, you have the benefits of not having to move it and having a mature plant in your garden....just a thought.

8. Creeping Jenny

I totally see your point. I love having mature plants in my yard. It really is a bad spot though. if you go around the corner to the left, there is a whole area of yard that isnt in use. there is only a small space to get through because on the other side is a huge shed. Plus this thing is a massive spider magnet ( I know... loves gardens, hates spiders... Im odd) and they spin these huge webs between the bush and the shed. I just cant get through! LOL!

9. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hardly odd! It's a shared affliction!

If you really hate it, just remove it - maybe just wait until the birds have done their shift this year; they are around less later in summer. Or do a major pruning/topiary, and then remove it in a year or two. Your daughter will see that the birds can cope with change.

10. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

This thread is getting way off topic and posts seem to be veering toward personal political rants and are not being discussed in a very academic way. I have closed the thread. (The second one today.)

I realize many of us are frustrated by the current political environment and the state of the biosphere, but please try to limit such conversation to the Conversations and Chat forum and keep the conversation focussed on issues concerning how these political/social problems/issues affect or are affected by gardeners/plant researchers/botanists/ecologists, etc.

I see more interest in these topics on the forums and I applaud people being concerned and working to learn/educate and find solutions to the great environmental problems facing us today. I feel the UBCBG forums have a definite roll to play here as we are a community of concerned and knowledgeable individuals. However we owe it to our community to be positive and open to solutions. Ranting and personal attacks are not helpful and not welcome on this forum.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.