User websites

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by jimmyq, Nov 6, 2003.

1. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Ha..ha..ha...

This is amusing - the thread lives on. I didn't even remember this one, then saw my post from years ago up top. Times have changed. No longer is it a basic site.

Now over 100 separate webpages - all accessible starting at the home page...

www.mdvaden.com

Main areas are...

www.mdvaden.com/articles.shtml

www.mdvaden.com/oregon_hiking.shtml

I just started adding GPS coordinates to a lot of the outdoors / hiking pages the past month, including clickable icons for Google Earth and Google Maps, including the Bigfoot Trap related hike on Collings Mountain trail...

www.mdvaden.com/collings_mountain.shtml

My highest traffice page now, is the safe and toxic woods for pets birds page - see menu.

How times have changed. Let's see where our sites go in another 3 years if someone bumps this to the top again.

2. katie lady

katie lady Member

Mine isnt garden related either but if any of you are interested in reptiles or own some here is a very down to earth reptile and invert website~ http://z4.invisionfree.com/HerpinVerts/index.php?act=site my name on there is katie lady too so if you see me say hello and let me know that your from here :)

3. mama flora

mama flora Member

Hi everybody!
    I've been looking in some of the sites above, and are great. I already take note of them in order to take a new look at great length.

I have a blog about general gardening, started last april, in Spanish:
    http://www.plantasadiario.blogspot.com

And another one in English where I'm trying to develope my environment, and to show some indigenous plants and also those from my garden, but it's just started and has scanty info yet:
    http://www.dailyplants.blogspot.com

4. handyman

handyman Member

www.MyGardenPlans.com

Among other things, this is a good site for landscaping contractors to showcase their portfolio of completed projects.

5. M. D. Vaden

Looks like a good idea.

Exchange of one benefit for another.

I like that bridge on the home page. It's stout, the way I like things built.

6. handyman

handyman Member

Happy you agree, MD Vaden. Google the phrase "landscaping portfolio" and you'll find THOUSANDS of company websites. Some websites look better than others, but few will ever receive meaningful traffic. In addition, it's expensive to make changes. MyGardenPlans.com helps landscaping companies by:
    • Promoting their company to an active audience (soon people will be able to find companies in a directory of local landscaping companies)
    • Making it easy to update their content
    • Saving them money (it's free)

Things have only been online for a few weeks now, so its very bare bones. But in the coming months, I'll be adding more features which could really boost the visibility of companies, especially those who produce quality content. There will be a user-rating system that gives the best gardens more visibility. Companies with the most attractive portfolios will be rewarded with more traffic and perhaps customers. It's kind of like YouTube, but for gardeners.

Visitors to MyGardenPlans.com also receive the benefit of finding great garden ideas and, if they choose, find a creditable landscaping contractor in the area.

7. M. D. Vaden

Okay...

I joined this evening, and added a few images for starters...

8. handyman

handyman Member

That's so cool! Keep it up. I especially like your garden plan at mygardenplans.com/plans/19. I'll work to tidy things up so that there's a place for your important contact information. For example, I'd like to give companies the option of including the following things next to the featured picture on each plan:
    • Link to company website
    • Company Name
    • Company contact information (address, phone, email)
    Your profile page will eventually show your full portfolio (and other contributions) as well.

I noticed that you included the plant list in the description rather than linking to plants in the online database. I might have broke that feature with some recent changes. In the future, I hope to make it easy enough to pull plants in directly from the plant database. I think this will also add value to the academic community because the data collected will show an accurate distribution of plants around the world.

Again, thank you for being one of the first to add content to MyGardenPlans.com. Hopefully, this will help you reach more customers.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  9. stormbythesea

stormbythesea Active Member

10. handyman

handyman Member

mvaden,

Thanks for adding pictures of your landscaping portfolio to mygardenplans.com last month. Your pages have received some decent traffic.

Since then, I've made quite a few improvements that will help you promote your company. Its still free to anyone that wants to share pictures of their gardens and landscaping portfolio. I invite you to update your profile with your company's information.

There's now a place for you to add information about your company. Here's some screenshots.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  11. natureman

natureman Active Member

Blog URL

http://ronortiz.blogspot.com is my main blog.

EDIT: Whoops, pressed New Thread instead of Reply in the thread below this. Delete this if possible. :P
    Note: Post inserted as reply by Administrator.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2007
  12. M. D. Vaden

Enjoyed reading.

I forget which site exactly, but I was sharing your site just after you posted this.

13. Laughing Dog

Laughing Dog Active Member

I just stumbled upon your site, lots of terrific ideas.

14. sososleepy

sososleepy Member

Since you asked... mine began as a butterfly page to help me remember all of the butterflies I'd learned, but the more I learned the more I understood how each living thing depends on another thing, so the next natural expansion was plants that butterflies use. That got me into host and nectar plants. Well, once I started trying to identify every plant I saw a butterfly use, and really checking my host plants for eggs and caterpillars, I began paying more attention to other little bugs and critters I found, like the wasps that keep stealing my caterpillars, so other creatures crept into my site. Other creatures use other plants... a mockingbird tried really really hard to get to a butterfly that was trapped in my screened porch... I still want to know the name of every plant in my yard... That little picture of each butterfly with its name page has turned into a bit of an obsession that consumes my spare time with no end in site because there's more than I can ever photograph, appreciate and wonder at, identify, and make a page on, but it's lots of fun: http://butterflies.heuristron.net

15. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

16. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'm only partially about plants on my blog about food but you all have been instrumental in helping me identify what the heck it is I'm eating down here....

Edit - clicky linky to my new botanical blog. After reading photopro's site extensively, it seems a good idea to keep my notes in a similar manner....

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  17. karmahappytoes

karmahappytoes Active Member

Felida, WA USA (NW of the other Vancouver in USA)
    Someone from this site visited my site so I thought I would join and check out what is here. Lots of great information and it's good to see several from the PNW and some folks I know. Here is my site, as I learn the ropes here.

http://karmahappytoes.org/default.aspx

18. bullseye

bullseye Active Member

Nice to see you here KHT :-)

19. karmahappytoes

karmahappytoes Active Member

Felida, WA USA (NW of the other Vancouver in USA)
    Oh no, maybe I should of changed my name? ; ) bullseye, ya want to give me a clue?

20. wynn

wynn Active Member 10 Years

21. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years