First Crocus 2008 Zone 5.

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by Durgan, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

First Crocus 2008

http://ahqueu.notlong.com/ 6 April 2008 First crocus 2008.

This is really a harbinger of Spring. The first plant to flower. A week ago the yard was covered with snow. These small plants probably start growing as the snow recedes.

A small note.
    Horticultural crocuses are also the source of saffron, (Crocus sativus fall bloomiong) one of the world's most expensive spices. The stigmas of approximately 150 crocuses must be harvested to obtain a single gram of saffron, and at current supermarket prices a gram is selling for about $12.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  2. natureman

natureman Active Member

Heh, same here, flowers are popping up, a daffodil is blooming. Seems a bit early, or maybe it' just me. :)

3. Durgan

4. bullseye

bullseye Active Member

Looking Durgan :-) How about that downpour overnight eh? I was able to add some cow manure to my bed last night, just in time before the rain started.

My Hyacinths and Tulips are growing inches by the day.

5. Durgan

My hyacinths, tulips, and daffadils are up a bit. Garlic is up about 3 inches, and not sign of rhubarb yet. My prize delphinium is showing a few leaves. Encouraging anyway.

I put about 3 yards of mulch around my cedar trees at the back of the property; then the rains came last night, and no more working outside for a few days.The yard was drying up well, now it is soaked, and two more days of wet weather forecast.

6. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

Makes me remember when I too lived in an area of bitter cold.

Here my crocuses finished blooming two weeks ago. But they sure put on a nice display for the month before that.

7. bullseye

bullseye Active Member

Durgan.....what type of mulch do you recommend or what type do you use around your yard?

8. Durgan

The city (Mohawk Park) supplies free of charge mulch which is cut up wood chips. It is available all year around in one of the city parks kept in a large bin. I pick up half a yard at a time in two large plastic containers purchased at Walmart. These are easy to handle in the wheelbarrow, and they just fit in my van with the rear seat removed. I got 2.5 yards yesterday (5 trips) for mulching around my cedars. If you buy the mulch, it costs from 15 to 30 dollars plus transport of probably 40 dollars.

9. Durgan