Coconut palm tree?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Majestypalm999, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Majestypalm999

Majestypalm999 Active Member

I have been wondering: Where can I buy one of the coconut palm trees that you see on beaches? Know of any sites/nurseries?

2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Cocos nucifera (Coconut palm) is quite tropical and therefore difficult to find outside of the areas that they grow. Even chilly night (45f - 50f) temps are enough to send this palm into shock if repeated on successive nights. I understand a few brave souls have tried these palms in prime sites on coastal Southern California. How these have faired isn't known to me at this time. I imagine last years big freeze hit them hard.

Cheers, LPN.

3. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

The International Palm Society's Palmtalk forum has discussed the difficulties of getting coconuts to thrive on the Pacific coast, even in frost-free microclimates. Oddly enough, we do better in Florida, where temperatures may dip below freezing, but the duration of cold isn't very long.

Californians from roughly the Bay Area south do rather well at finding and deploying nice palms.

4. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

They sell them here every year, year after year, despite the annual cold snaps to the low 20's.....

If you're really gunning to grow one, buy a coconut from the market and follow the directions you can find on-line or on this very board. Just don't go into a nursery asking for a 'coconut seed.' Read toward the bottom of this forum for a recent (embarrasing) post about that.

5. Majestypalm999

Ok, thx. I will try buy a coconut as soon as they are available.

I was wondering: Could a coconut palm tree grow inside? I know that they get tall, (I dunno what to do with it then) The temp. in my house is usually in the 70's.

Also, I got my majesty palm from Fredmeyers, so has anyone ever found a coconut palm there? Are they expensive?

If the coconut palm is too dificult, I found a nicely priced alternative>>http://www.paradisepalmco.com/product/Pindo+Palm
    I was thinking of getting the smallest size. what do you guys think?

6. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

When we lived in Florida I planted three coconuts. One was just a nut from another tree in the neighborhood with the husk stripped away. The other two were small plants bought at a Miami nursery. Within 4 to 5 years each tree was over 4 meters tall (12 feet). When we sold the house 7 years after I planted them all the trees were at least 7 meters or more than 20 feet tall. I wouldn't gamble on trying to grow one indoors unless your have very tall ceilings and lots of light. This plant needs full sunglight to prosper.

My guess would be the reason they do better in Florida than California is the humidity level. In their natural environment the trees love high humidity, sandy soil, and tons of water.

7. Majestypalm999

8. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member

I bought this one about 4 ½ years ago from my local Wal-Mart for $10.00 I got it as just a coconut with 2 leaves sprouted out of it its now more then twice my height. I didn’t learn until later that Coconut Palms do not thrive here in central Florida between the winter freezes and a disease called lethal yellowing I have been lucky mine has survived this long. I believe that I read some where (please feel free to correct me) that if you can get the tree to survive the first 2 years that you stand a better chance for the tree to continue to live. Mine I have currently growing in a custom made wooden planter at the rate of its growth I’m not sure what I will do with it. It definitely does not make a good house plant...lol

Attached Files:

9. photopro

The coconut is the seed. Best to strip away a small portion of the husk but not all. Personally, I was never able to get a coconut that had the husk removed to being to grow. Lay the entire coconut on its side and make sure the nut is not cracked. bury only half of it in soil. The soil mixture should contain quite a bit of sand. The soil should stay damp but not muddy. In a few months you will see growth coming from one end.

Since you won't have any idea what species you buy when you bring home the nut in the husk don't be surprised if it grows quickly. It will need lots of sun and lots of water. In the southern California climate I'd consider putting a large tray of gravel beneath the pot and keep water in the gravel at all times. That will provide extra humidity to the plant. And the last piece of advice would be to by a BIG pot!

I didn't see JoAnn's photo at first but now I see it! Typical growth for 4 1/2 years. Just curious JoAnn, how big is it now? The ones we had in Miami grew like crazy!

10. Dave-Florida

Dave-Florida Active Member

Sunrize,
    that's an impressive youngster for zone 8b!

To some extent, a well-established palm may survive cold that would kill a younger one. And local microclimates may help, too. Melbourne Beach and communities to its south, separated from the mainland by a wide stretch of the Indian River, are always a bit warmer than the mainland.

11. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member

Hi Steve,

The picture I just posted I took today. Here is how it looked when I first bought it..sorry the picture quality is not so good.

Attached Files:

12. photopro

That is just about the size of the two I planted in Miami JoAnn. I'm really curious about the current size after 4.5 years?

We lived in Jamaica in 1979 and 1980 and I watched a coconut grower plant a very large field near the coast just west of St. Ann's Bay with plants about the size of your plant. His entire field had been lost to the yellow blight, or whatever it is actually called. I had to leave the island due to Hurricane Allen in mid 1980 but when I went back in 1988 that grove was at least 20 feet (close to 7 meters) tall. I didn't get back until around 1995 and by then the trees were full grown. I can only estimate them at well over 30 feet (10 meters). Coconut trees can grow very tall, very fast!

I brought one about the size of your plant here when we moved to NW Arkansas. I had big dreams of growing it in my tropical atrium and that one was known to be one of the smaller species. The center of the building is 17 feet tall (about 5.5 meters). It didn't take long and I had to give the plant to the trash people! It was taking over my atrium and I knew if I let it grow too big I'd never get it out the door! Besides, the things are very heavy. I tried to help a friend in Miami cut one down once and it almost landed on both of us! We had to cut the thing into 2 foot chunks to be able to pick it up.

I love them, but never again as a "house plant"!

13. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member

Steve,

The first photo is the current size... : ) ...smiles

14. Majestypalm999

So I guess I will get the biggest pot possible, and a few coconuts to try. I am kind of nervous about putting a palm tree outside, so I might end up growing it in front of my sliding glass door. How long does it take for a palm tree to fully mature, as-in when it grows a trunk?

15. photopro

JoAnn, can you tell us the height in feet?

As for how long, I'd guess in three years you'll have a descent sized trunk After that, don't be surprised if it grows quickly. I'd certainly consider putting it out in full sun light for as long as the weather will allow. Just use a lot of sand mixed in the soil and keep the soil damp. A humdity tray beneath the plant will help to keep it healthy.

16. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member

The palm its self is about 8 to 9 feet tall..The planter is 2 feet tall and about 2 1/2 feet wide square so all together it sits almost 11 to 12 feet in height. Right now its getting to big for the wooden pot its in and as a matter of a fact I do have it growing outside on my patio next to the sliding glass doors…If I had known how fast this thing was going to grow I probably wouldn’t have considered it but now I’ve developed a bond with it and can’t just give it away…lol I’ll try to take a picture of its trunk tomorrow when it stops raining…: )

17. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member