Plant Collection Assignment

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Mirek, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Mirek

Mirek Member

Hey everyone, i was just wondering if anyone can help me out with this project. I need to collect 10 different clippings of this sheet i was given. I am stumped on #3.

I have already collected...

#4 Euonymous fortunei
    #7 Thuja
    #9 Pinus strobus
    #10 Pinus nigra

I am going out to get 1,2 and 8 now. #'s 5 and 6 are really hard to find in my area it seems.

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Hate to rain on you, but it's board policy not to help with assignments.....

3. Mirek

Mirek Member

your telling me your not going to pick these for me and bring them to my house? :)

No, i understand. I just wanted help with #3 the deciduous conifer. and broadleaf evergreen ground cover and hedge. Those seem to be the ones getting to me. I don't seem to understand what some of the examples are. i am really new to horticulture and plants.

you really dont have to pick them for me. i can do that.

Thanks

Mirek

4. lorax

I mean we're not even supposed to tell you where to look....

I'm gonna give you a hint anyhoo... try wikipedia on the names given in your examples. And keep an eye out for larch in your area.

5. Mirek

Mirek Member

your not suppose to tell me where to look? thats the weirdest thing I've ever heard, but thanks for the info......

6. lorax

It's considered cheating.

7. Mirek

Mirek Member

its considered help to me. my teacher told me not to believe everything online about plants, theres alot of fault in the literature about plants online. so i'd rather post a question and get different answers and see if 2 or more people can give the same answer to a question.

8. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I don't think it's unreasonable since it is likely that one would ask on a personal level for plant locations. Unfortunately I don't know the flora of Brantford!

I'd suggest you consider visiting a local botanical garden if you have one, or maaaaybeee even a garden centre, where you could ask permission to take a small piece from larger specimens if they have them, or at least see what they look like so you are more likely to spot them in your neighbourhood. Or just do an internet image search for the ones you need.

The Larches will currently be bare by the way (deciduous, right?) so they will be tough to find!

9. lorax

Harder, since Brantford's kinda snowy. Maybe your local botanical garden?

10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

All depends on what part of it you are supposed to do on your own, something that probably has not been made clear to everyone here.

11. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

There's also a couple of faults on the project sheet ;-)

12. KarinL

Correctly: There "ARE" also a lot of faults...

:-)

13. Ron B

However, he said "couple" and not "a lot": "There is also a couple..."

14. KarinL

Maybe Mirek better run this by his English teacher...

15. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

Just curious why is this asking for help from experts considered cheating?

As long as the source of information is acknowledged and not portrayed as their own work then I would consider asking experts for help acceptable from any of my own students. As pointed out by RonB and KarinL it depends on what you are supposed to do by your self

Is is not the same as a gardener novice or otherwise asking us for help? eg. what is this plant, how do I prune, how do I grow. why do we not give the same answers to them we give to students

In my opinion (and I may be wrong... frequently) this is the same as asking at the local garden centre or botanical garden for help identifying or explaining. yes I know there are books and libraries out there but the student has sought us out to ask our help and opinions.

Is it now we are only going to give knowledge to those we deem worthy? or is knowledge not knowledge until it is shared?

16. smivies

smivies Active Member

How often do your students acknowledge a source, especially an unpublished one, when they know there is little chance of being caught?

Frankly, I see school as serving a dual purpose. It's a centre for learning but it's also competition with everyone vying for the grades to get into University. If it's not a level playing field, it's not a competition and someone has the unfair advantage. If an individual did acknowledge a source that assisted in a stellar project, shouldn't they receive a lower mark than their peers because their project was not substantially orginal work.

This debate occurs again and again with science fair competitions. Why do the kids who come up with their own idea, spend several weekends in a University library researching, and assemble/develop it own their own, get passed over in favour of the kid whose parents provided experience, knowledge, and in many cases, a substantial amount of the work in developing the exhibit? Even if there is open admission of the parental assistance, are the kids penalized for an unfair advantage? Should they be?

It's easier to stay out of the mix on educational projects to try and encourage the research techniques tried and true for the educational field.

17. Ron B

Speaking generally, without having studied the original post on this thread enough to have figured out what the case is here - if the point of the assignment is to do your own research, the research being the activity that is being taught and learned, then asking on the internet for answers from people who already know them defeats the purpose of the assignment. The student has not learned how to do it on their own. It's the same as cheating on an exam, by getting the answers from a kid sitting next to you who has them in their head (or written on something they have snuck in).

18. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

Smivies et al

Point taken and thank you for clearing this up

admittedly mine don't acknowledge a lot of anything but if I have designed my question correctly then they will get marked for not citing correctly!! they squeal and squak about a lot more than just that

I would like to see a level playing field too but then is it not your advantage in that competition if you seek ask and find?

Thank you for the advice. I think I will stay clear of the education thing and get my students to think (Hmm) and use more traditional methods

19. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

interesting. I have followed the ' we dont do your homework' credo most of the time here but after thinking about it, what is research? searching out the answer to the question. Where do you find the answer? in my day not long ago it might have been the library, perhaps today its the internet. if you can ask someone to tell you the fact you seek rather than wade through books and tomes to find the same answer, where is the wrong?

I see difficulty on ID questions, where diligent research, trial and error and poring over picture after picture; description after description may help a student learn differently but I am not certain the 'old ways' are better methods in the current world.

I have been out of school for near 20 years, I see the current method of teaching students how to use a calculator and computer to do math rather than the way I learned to do it long hand as different, not necessarily wrong. some might say "what if the power goes out" or " what if you dont have a computer or calculator at hand?" but seriously, my cell phone has a calculator, my computer has one, how often would I be so desperate for such a machine in todays world?

Do we teach students to use centuries old machinery like the abacus just in case the power goes out? no, of course not.

I am intruiged by where this thread may lead. :)

20. Ron B

Again, depends on point of exercise in each instance. If there is a method that is being taught that is something more than asking someone else to give you the answer, without any additional effort on your part then coughing those answers up here interferes with the lesson.