flower won't open

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by acphm, Feb 4, 2008.

1. acphm

acphm Member

I have a phal orchid which in the past has bloomed twice. This time, however, the flowers are developing normally, but for some reason the petals are stuck and won't open up. At first, because this orchid had never bloomed in the winter, I thought it was the cool weather delaying the flower but the petals seem to be drying out as if they're about to fall. I haven't done anything different this time so I don't know what, if anything, I should be doing to fix this.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Latifa

Latifa Member

The same thing happened to my plant a few weeks ago, flowers died out before opening, but I didn`t remove the stem, so now, the new flower buds are apearing and I hope they will not die!
    I think, since I am not much of an expert, that it has something to do with central heating, becouse it hapened at the time the heating was very strong in my flat , but now it`s a bit cooler, so I think it suites the plant. I spray it with water every day. Good luck!

3. Lora F

Lora F Member

-The same thing - my orchids suffered from low humidity because of the heating. You could put the pot into basin with water. (The water souldn't touch the bottom of the pot)
    -Your plant could have got frosen a little. Or sudden changes of temperature..
    -Sometimes it may suffer from lack of feeding.

Think what reason could be. And check up leaf turgor.