Petunias.....would they come back?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by jacksparrow, Dec 1, 2007.

1. jacksparrow

jacksparrow Active Member

The flowers in the basket, in the link below, any chance of them coming back, or do I have to plant something else in it next spring? I bought the baskets last spring

[​IMG]

thx

2. blue moon

blue moon Member

annuals?

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

4. bunting

bunting Member

If you let pwetunias go to seed in the pot you had them in they will come back in the Spring

The wave petunias do but may not be true to form, But sstill nice

and to answer your other question when to start seeds>.. end of March is early enough for the averge annual or perennial

bunting

5. lhuget

lhuget Active Member

Most of the petunia seed we get these days are hybrids and unfortunately will not stay true. I've tried for several years with no luck. On the upside you do get some interesting reversions. I had a lilac revert to a pale pink candystripe and recently a crimson red revert to pale yellow with pink blush. I'm now hoping the yellow/blush will stay true. The candystripe reverted to white and pale pink solids in the third generation sigh. Petunias are easy germinators and will self sow in Zone 5 so they're fun to play with.

Les

6. bunting

bunting Member

HI

Yes this is true but it is still nice to get the different colors or I don;t mind when they aren't true to color

Just fun playing with it, lol,lol

Waves are so pretty and less deadheading but very expensive to buy , either for both seeds and plants

I start my seeds mostly inside under lights. My soil is so heavy clay even with amendments sowing directly they don't germinate well

Is there something I can do to correct this??

Bunting

7. lhuget

lhuget Active Member

boy oh boy do I hear you about clay. I have the same problem compounded by lack of rainfall until June. Now that we no longer get much snow I don't direct surface sow any fine seed in the spring that requires light to germinate, petunias being one of them. Mostly because I try to be a water wise gardener and I prefer to use it on my woodies in the spring. I sow newly purchased petunia seed in March directly into their large containers in the greenhouse. The seed I've collected I sow in individual pots so I can keep track of the colour changes. I just keep adding soil amendments spring and fall (home made compost and store bought manure) to the beds to deal with the clay. I'm also a big peat moss fan which works well in our alkaline conditions.

Les