Fig Tree Help Please

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Sandpiper-N121PP, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Sandpiper-N121PP

Sandpiper-N121PP Member

I have a Fig Tree (not sure what variety it is) but it has had a very hard life. It has lost several leaves at one time and then got them back at other times. I have it in a 12" across by 2 foot deep plastic pot and it just will not grow. I have changed the soil completely about 2 years ago and that did no help at all. I really want it to grow but fear I am not doing anything right. I know they are very hard to grow and very picky plants... but I know it will grow if I use the right mix of something. Please help as it is one of my most favorite plants. It currently is about 3 feet tall and in a corner by itself that is kinda cool but probably about 68 degrees or so. Also note I do not know what fertalizer to give it if any or how many times a week/month I should water it. Thank you in advace for any and all help.

2. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

Is your's an indoor weeping fig tree with elongated pointed leaves? Weeping figs are notorious for dropping their leaves with any change in environment - light, temperature moisture. Did you move it recently? These plants like consistency. That said, a 3' tall plant might need more root space than a 12" pot.

3. Sandpiper-N121PP

Sandpiper-N121PP Member

Yes it is one with the elongated pointed leaves. I moved it about 3 months ago and it is also turning into winter here. What temperature should this plant be kept at? Should it be in an indirect light place or a dark place. I can get a bigger pot but should I put all new soil in and how often should I water it? Thank you again for all the help so far.

4. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

I am not sure about the weeping fig but normal figs sold for home gardening are not perticular about the soil. They may thrive in good soil and compost but will have acceptable growth in ordinary soil. Under proper environment (sun light, temperature and humidity) it will grows well in any garden soil. However it nees a lot of water such that it drains away so roots do not stay water-logged. Figs like moist soil and watering frequency depends on how fast it dries up.
    If your plant is in a pot, you may check if the roots have overgrown for the pot. If that is the case then it might have made the soil very compact and no place for the root growth and nutrition pick-up and you may have to prune the roots to rejuvinate.

5. Sandpiper-N121PP

Sandpiper-N121PP Member

I am so very sad because I think my fig tree is just going to die. It is loosing about 10 leaves a day and I am at a total loss of what to give it to save it. The temperature in my appartment is about 60 to 70 and I water it every three days. Any other help would be greatly appriciated because I just love it and it seems like it wants to die. :(

6. Ottawa-Zone5

Ottawa-Zone5 Active Member

Sandpiper
    If there is no obvious visible reason for its current situation, then it is possible that it may be just going through its natural yearly cyclic state and going to dormancy. All figs drop leaves at this time of the year and come rejuvenated with leaf buds in early or mid spring depending on the environment. It is usually kept in cooler place for the dormancy, the rest period.
    I have two potted fig plants which are resting leafless in a cold storage area for a month now where temperature stays above freezing but cooler.

7. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

If it is a F. Benjimina then it will shed leaves. That is what they do. They do it more when the environment changes, but the truth is that they do it all the time and 10 leaves a day can happen in fall when the days shorten and they can drop 10 leaves a day during a strong summer growth period.

Don't fiddle with it. The more light and heat you can give it the better. Look where the leaves are falling from. If the tree is healthy then some or all of those spots will have new shoots popping out there.

8. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

Something else to think about is...perhaps your indoor ornamental (?) fig tree doesn't need water 3x a day. Have you confirmed what your plant is? A websearch will probably bring up for comparison photos of different plants. You could also talk to your local garden centre or Home Depot, even.

Once you know what your plant is, you'll know what water, light, temperature conditions, etc. it needs and you'll be able to provide it. Too much of a thing can be as detrimental as not enough.

9. rainman

rainman Member

SANDPIPER,
    I have an indoor fig tree and have been looking to see what it's health issues are as well. What I have noticed is that overwatering seems to be a common mistake. There seems to be different ideas about how much but there is a lot of suggestions about once a week or so, but mainly looking at whether the surface soil is dry or not. . I seem to recall the frequent but modest watering as well so I am getting mixed messages. The yellowing of the leaves seems to be always seen as an overwatering problem and the fact that you are watering 3/7 I would suspect that. Also they hate change of location or any disturbance. Underwatering seems to produce dry leaves and/or just the tips drying out. I think overwatering tends to be more harmful of the two, though obviously a perfect amount is the goal.The drainage is very important and dependent on the variety some need lots of semi direct sunlight. The parts that are dry andbrittle need to be cut off as they are dead and the dying or dead leaves removed ASAP. I read that spraying "Neem" oil is helpful for various bugs and fungus.
    I hope that some of this may be helpful. Take care and good luck with your fig tree.

10. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Sandpiper, a photo would be most helpful in diagnosing your ficus problem. ---I agree with much of what has been said above---check for repotting; bright curtain-filtered light; finding a good spot so the plant doesn't have to be moved; dangers of over/underwatering. But: is insect infestation present? Scale, mites, etc? A stressed plant is more susceptible than a healthy one. As previously stated, a photo would be of great help.

And, Sandpiper, I do feel for you. Obviously, you are worried and sad. I know that when a plant is ailing you want to DO something---sometimes the best thing to do is Nothing, and it's not easy. Try to think positive, and know that we are here to help you.

11. rainman

rainman Member

SANDPIPER,

IT IS ME AGAIN (RAINMAN).BELOW IS SOME GREAT ADVICE FOR OUR TYPE OF FIG, AS I HAVE THE POINTY TYPE LEAF LIKE YOURS AND MINE WAS ALSO DROPPING LEAVES AT TIMES.

http://www.indoor-plant-care.com/in...Banyan&item=plant_details&id_razred=12&id=367

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2010
  12. rockyplants

rockyplants Member

I think leaf drop is why f. benjamina are called "weeping figs". You might try using this product. it seems to help w/ stress related, repot etc. problems.

Attached Files: