Questions about Davidia tree

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by polepruner, Nov 16, 2007.

1. polepruner

polepruner Member

I am curious if the Davidia involucrata would do well in moist soils? I live in south western BC, zone 8.

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Moist with good drainage should be fine, some shade seems to be good also.

3. NiftyNiall

NiftyNiall Active Member 10 Years

They do well in moist soils, they will not tolerate drought. The tree is prone to fork, and put out branches sideways. These should be trimmed back. Very tolerant of insects here. It should be planted more widely locally, it does quite well here, and is not to big.

4. chimera

A "search" of "Davidia" in the title bar near the top of this page will bring up more info. Not sure about size, an older one at Ferncliff Garden in Hatzic, B.C. seemed to be +60' across. A pic of one at Riverview looks very nice and blooming young. Believe the cultivar "Sonoma" blooms at a young age, seed grown trees can take 15+ years to bloom well.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sonoma Horticultural Nursery gives the cultivar name as 'SHN'. I have seen it blooming in 5 gallon containers at outlets here, on more than one occasion.

I wouldn't prune the branches back. Wide crown of long branches seems to be the normal mode, plus you want to have long branches for the flowerheads to hang from. Not a small tree, you need to give it a wide berth anyway.

Grabbing THE PRUNING OF TREES, SHRUBS AND CONIFERS I see it says

"The outline of a mature tree is wide and spreading, for the leader finally terminates in branching at an approximate height of 9 m. (30 ft.) or more. The spreading branches should not be restricted by lack of sufficient light or pruning, otherwise the effect will be spoilt. As a tree gains height and grows freely, the lower branches may be removed back to the stem to form a 1.8 m. (6 ft.) clear trunk if desired, doing this in the later summer. This is a good form in which to grow the tree, as the showy bracts, hanging down, may be seen to full effect. The process of forming a clear stem may start in the nursery, but the head will not be complete for at least a year or so after the final planting."

6. polepruner

polepruner Member

The only large one I've seen is in Vancouver on SW Marine Dr. Thanks for your responses.

7. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Whereabouts? I'd like to see one.

8. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

hi i have two Davidia involucrata in my garden one planted in full sun on top my land
    and one in donw land in partial shade,the second is very happy ! because the soil is + acid and more moist in this conditions is fast grown,but for flower is more happy the first because have flower + big and remain for + time ;the age is equal the nursery too
    Of course is not good plant for Xerescaping!!!(in Italy)

Attached Files:

9. Ron B

Straley, TREES OF GREATER VANCOUVER says where the one that hangs out over SW Marine Drive, gives locations of others. Last time I was at UBC, several years ago there was a new one in the shop there by a different author, although it seemed to have quite a few small specimens indicated maybe it also has locations for a dove tree or two that is fairly well along - I don't remember.

polepruner likes this.
  10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Three plants that I know of:

The one on Southwest Marine Drive and 49th is a delight to see on my morning commutes in May. I've heard it said that this is the largest one in the Lower Mainland of BC.

Two plants in UBC BG: one on the accessibility path where it is closest to the ocean in the Asian Garden (the second largest in Lower Mainland of BC?), a second that is slightly smaller near the stand-out Cunninghamia lanceolata 'Glauca' from one of the side paths off Upper Asian Way.

11. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

Hello
    there is a large Davidia at VanDusen at the beginning of the rhododendron walk just as you enter the graet lawn from the rose garden

12. Ron B

>Not sure about size, an older one at Ferncliff Garden in Hatzic, B.C. seemed to be +60' across<

Sounds like that may be the biggest one there, if that big and still extant. Down here (WA) we have this record (from Van Pelt, CHAMPION TREES OF WASHINGTON STATE (1996)):

Circumference: 5'4"
    Height: 53'
    Crown Spread: 52'
    AFA* Points: 130
    Date Last Measured: 1988
    Location and Nominators: Snohomish, 1314 Third St RGB

One in Seattle was 52 1/2' tall during 2006 (Jacobson, TREES OF SEATTLE - SECOND EDITION). NORTH AMERICAN LANDSCAPE TREES (Jacobson, 1996) lists the following records for cultivated specimens (all height x circumference):

79' x 6'6" Westonbirt, Gloucestershire, England (1988)
    72' x 8'1" Villa Taranto, Pallanza, Lake Maggiore, Italy (1994)
    62' x 7'6" Tregrehan, Cornwall, England (1979)

*American Forestry Association, since shortened to American Forests; Van Pelt used same point system they do for numerous species not actually kept track of by AF. It's a way of assigning a single figure that gives an indication of the overall size.

13. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Current UK champ is 21m tall. Stoutest in Ireland is 78cm diameter (245cm girth)

14. chimera

Yes, seen it blooming last spring, quite a sight, remember commenting that it looked close to 70' { 23m.} across at the time, owner smiled and nodded. Didn't seem all that tall, but spreading. Could easily be about 75-90 years old or more as the present owner's family has been growing there as a retail nursery for near 90 years. A few young trees there, which are likely seedlings from the large one. Will try to get a more accurate sizing and maybe a photo.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  15. Ron B

Both size and age could be noteworthy.

16. chimera

Don't think he's ever sized it up closely. May get a chance to find out size, age and who planted it within the next week.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  17. alex66

i seen those in Villa Taranto ,in this villa is together var.vilmoriniana(discovered by Wanger) and more!is one esamplare bellissimo (very beautiful)
    P.S.the pics of my tree is var .involucrata,origin China named by Baill tribute to David father a french missonary botanist

18. chimera

Hi Alex, would you know about what age is your tree and was it grown from seed or a cutting ? Seems they are variable to blooming age and bract size. Very nice.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  19. alex66

my tree are propagate by cutting ,flower after 8/9 year , propagate by seed is easy
    but if not cut a little the seed this not germinate,of course by seed flower after 10/12 years...

20. Ron B

Fruits actually have multiple embryos, and as with various other hardy trees the roots and shoots emerge at different times - with not all fruits in the same batch sprouting at the same times as one another. One method that has been advocated is placing dove tree fruits in a wire basket or similar ventilated container filled with leaf mold or other coarse, moist material and leaving them in an area where they will receive a cold treatment. Periodically the contents can be inspected for sprouting of roots, at which point those that have done so can be potted and put into a greenhouse or similar environment, for the shoots to emerge. The rest can be returned to the basket, to be checked again later (the roots come out after a cold period, the shoots in response to warmth).

21. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

there is a trio of young ones at Riverview, they bloomed last year that I saw. and another more mature one in the plantings at the sports park near lougheed and king edward ave in coquitlam, across the street from canadian tire.

22. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Thanks Paul. And Ron, for that fascinating info. Is the cold/warm roots/shoots thing specific to Davidia or more generally applicable?

23. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

There's a handkerchief tree on the west side of Queen Elizabeth Park. I first noticed the seeds/fruits on the ground one winter day; then I noticed the tree.

24. Ron B

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  25. chimera

Thanks Alex, much sooner to blooming from cuttings than seed it seems. One here just bloomed very well this year , 17 years since germination., with just a few flowers the preceding 2 years. Another from seed and same age has yet to bloom.