Aroid weed?

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by edleigh7, Nov 11, 2007.

1. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Before anyone abuses me for saying an aroid is a weed, but I'm afraid this one is, assuming it is an aroid. We ripped most of it out, and it still keeps coming back. I rarely do poison and wondering what I can do to erradicate it. In the sub tropics this goes absolutely crazy. It climbs right up my mature palm trees!

Oh and BTW anyone is as welcome to as much as they like!!

Ed

Attached Files:

2. trikus

trikus Active Member

&You should see how rampant it goes in the wet tropics , I have a clump of the green one covering a massive part of a creek bank .. gotta get some real toxic stuff to spray it with .

3. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Syngonium is considered a "weed" by many people who have to rip it out of their property in parts of Florida. Still, I have a lady in Georgia who begs me for all the cuttings I take out of my atrium. To each his/her own! And it is an aroid.

4. edleigh7

Thanks guys.
    I could imagine how rampant it would get up there Mick!!
    I don't reeeeeally want to spray, and if I don't, do I have rip every little piece out or it will regrow? I thought I did that last year!
    IF i have to spray, what would everyone recommend?
    Bear in mind that I have other plants in the vicinity...

Ed

5. trikus

trikus Active Member

I am good friends with the local council weed officer , and they are trialling a few sprays on the many patches of Syngonium around the shire . Will send him an email and see what has worked best . ED in a small controlled garden area , it would be best to hand remove . I would have several cubic meters of it to shift , no way am I doing that .

6. edleigh7

Thanks mate....when we first attacked I would have had a few cubes, it took us ages...I might have a go at it soon before it gets too much. If your mate has any chemical suggestions, that would be great as a last resort. I am going to Melbourne this weekend, do you know of any aroid "nuts" down there that may have seeds plantlets for sale? If so email to me.
    Thanks

Ed

7. trikus

trikus Active Member

Collectors Corner out at Springvale is always worth a visit .

8. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

It doesn't freeze here so it can easily get out of control. There are a lot of pretty types, but some of the really nice cultivars are hard to find. My faves are "Confetti" and "WHite Butterfly"

9. raymikematt

raymikematt Active Member

I know it cant take any hard freezes but Ive seen it growing fairly high on trees as far north as South Georgia in the USA, in protected spots.

10. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

It comes through the low 20's in my yard every winter. I have to pull it off of my house, it tries to grow between the siding boards

11. edleigh7

Yeah its shocking stuff!!
    When we first moved into our house 3 years ago, it had climbed up several of our 8 metre palms. It took ages for us to eradicate it, well so we thought anyway...

Ed