Sweet little hitch hiker

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by bihai, Nov 3, 2007.

1. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

This little guy on the Philodendron leaf is only about an inch long......

Attached Files:

2. bihai

And this puts it all in perspective, LOL.
    I grow over 300 bromeliads in my greenhouse, and the green treefrogs breed in the cups and tanks. When the babies hatch out they are so tiny, they are the size of a fingernail. Very, very sweet....can you see him now?

Attached Files:

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Must be useful for pest control!

4. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

I love frogs! Thanks for sharing.

5. bihai

We live in 5 acres that backs up against a State Nature Preserve, so we have all sorts of animals here. Part of our property is a natural bog, and we have our own creek, so we have all manner of things...water snakes, toads, many different species of frogs, salamanders...but my favorites are the green treefrogs. They are so numerous and so loud after a rain, you can hear them even inside the house with the doors shut. Their breeding time is winter, and they breed in my greenhouse in the ponds, and in the cups and tanks of bromeliads. They will eat some pests, but unfortunately are ineffective against stuff like scale and mealies, unless they are in the crawler stage, LOL.

SO far we have escaped the scourge of the Cuban Tree Frog here. A few isolated ones have shown up, but largely they haven't migrated up from So FL yet. They are bigger and meaner than our native greens, and they eat them and take over the habitat.

6. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Cuban tree frog.....sounds a bit like our dirty old Cane Toads over here. They too eat other native frogs like Green Tree Frogs. Because they are poisonous anything that eats them dies also. Except for the crows (ravens), they have learned to flip them upside down and eat them inside out, thus not getting poisoned. Thats the only thing I like crows for...

Ed

7. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

we've got American bullfrogs in Langley.

8. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

Here's one of mine peeking out from a bamboo stake in the morning. Looks like he just wants to check out the plants to see how they are before starting the day!

Attached Files:

9. dogseadepression

dogseadepression Active Member

I Live in Pesotum, IL I used to live in western part of ILLinois and The place that I used to work at had regular visits in the summer by the invasion of the common grey tree frog we even had one napping during the day in the bench overhange. I have a split leaf that i am growing in my bathroom.

10. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

looks like he lives in the bamboo! prab. crickets go down there and he gets them! :)

11. JanR

JanR Active Member

We had a lot of tree frogs here this last summer, because it was so wet. One day I was watering my tomatoes on the deck. I tipped the watering can and nothing came out. So I looked down the spout to see what was blocking the flow and out popped a frog head. I almost had heart failure. It happened a couple of more times, but it I wasn't so surprised the next time. LOL

12. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Really enjoyed the frog stories and pictures!

Hey, dogseadepression: my mom hails from Paris, IL and my dad is from Arthur. Small world, eh?

13. Sigtris

Sigtris Active Member

I live in Cuernavaca Mexico and we also have many tree frogs, I was lucky to capture a pair of tree frogs mating.

Attached Files: