Maples Reference Books

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Daniel Mosquin, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

One of the things I'd like to add to the Maple Society web site (as a suggestion by one of the posters here) is a list of reference books. If anyone would like to devote some time to adding a few books to the list, it'd be much appreciated.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Gelderen, D. M. v., P. C. d. Jong, et al. (1994). Maples of the world. Portland, Or., Timber Press.

Gelderen, C. J. v. and D. M. v. Gelderen (1999). Maples for gardens : a color encyclopedia. Portland, OR, Timber Press.

Le Hardÿ de Beaulieu, A. (2003). An illustrated guide to maples. Portland, OR, Timber Press.

Mulligan, B. O. and American Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboretums. (1958). Maples cultivated in the United States and Canada. [Lancaster, Pa.], American Association of Botanical Gardens and Arboretums.

Vertrees, J. D. (1978). Japanese maples : momiji and kaede. Forest Grove, OR., Timber Press.

Vertrees, J. D. (1987). Japanese maples : momiji and kaede. Portland, Or., Timber Press.

3. Bill

Bill Active Member 10 Years

Well of course

Vertrees, J. D. (2001). Japanese maples Portland, Or., Timber Press. 3rd Edition

and

Harris, James G.S. , (2000) The Gardener's Guide to Growing Maples Timber Press

4. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

New book

I received this new book, "The Book of Maples" by Masayoshi Yano in Japanese and English, a few weeks ago and I would like to share my impressions with the forum.
    It has a lot (700) beautiful pictures and contains some cultivars that do not appear in the better known books of Vertrees and Van Gelderen. On the other hand, some cultivars that are in the other two books, are not in this one.
    On the down side, the descriptions of the cultivars are very succinct and, to me, insufficient. Maybe the Japanese descriptions, that are side by side with the English ones, are more complete but, unfortunately, I cannot read Japanese.
    Regards
    Gomero

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi, my first book for garden that I shop is "Trees in Britain,Europe and North America"
    by Roger Phillips a complete book for collector trees ;many photos of the leaves in spring and autum ,bark,and seed or fruits ; 40 acer and another 400!!! trees description
    kind regards
    alex66

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Somehow we have missed:

James G.S. Harris: The Gardener's Guide to Growing Maples, Timber Press (US) / David & Charles (UK).

Less complete than the other books, Mr. Harris' book still gives a good overview of the genus, as well as growing advice that is very pertinent to northern European and North-Western US climates. Nicely illustrated.

Mr. Harris is owner of the well known Mallet Court nursery and has made several important species introductions.

Also of note for it's Acer section is the Hillier's Manual of Trees and Shrubs. (David & Charles).
    A good list of what is available in the UK/EU trade.

-E

7. richardbeasley@comcast.net

richardbeasley@comcast.net Active Member Maple Society

My reviews:

The Gardener's Guide to Growing Maples, Harris ISBN 0715310941 I saw it on eBay today for five dollars, it is an important book because most anyone can afford. It is well written albeit not a complete study but you would not expect that from any one book at this price.

Japanese Maples , Gregory and Vertrees ISBN: 978 0 88192 501 2

The book is mostly limited to Japanese maples as the titles suggest, but more complete than one would expect. The book covers a wide girth of topic from taxonomy, nomenclature to propagation and site selection, not to mention what a Kasagi yama looks like. The book is filled with as many pictures as one could hope for. A must have for any library or any one that just loves nature. I wonder how many copies of this book have been sold; I bet millions?

Timber Press Pocket Guide to Japanese Maples ISBN: 978 0 88192 799 3

Well if you have the fist book you got'a get the pocket guide as it seem all the mistakes in Japanese Maples were fixed in this little book. Very short on general information, very long in identification of cultivars. It has an extensive listing of the newer cultivars as well. At the current rate of new trees being listed, even this cutting edge book will be obsolete in a few years. I will be looking for Pocket Guide to Japanese Maples 2 ed next year.

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Another very good book is Rushforth, K. (1999). Trees of Britain and Europe. Collins ISBN 0-00-220013-9. It covers just over 70 species of maple (basically, all of the species native to, or cultivated in, Europe), with detailed descriptions and (small) photos for most of them. What many might consider most useful about it is that it offers a different taxonomic interpretation to that used by van Gelderen & de Jong, retaining several maples as distinct species which vG&dJ have controversially synonymised or reduced to subspecies of other maples (e.g. Acer ginnala, A. grandidentatum, A. lobelii).

9. nelran

nelran Active Member

An additional souce book that I already have (among the famous Vertrees books) and also recommend is MAPLES by Rosemary Barret (2004) Firefly Books ISBN 1-55297-885-0. It was my first maple book and even though it's small; it contains helpful info about planting, selection, cultivation, Maples from North America and the rest of Northern Hemisphere, landscaping ideas, container culture, propagation and companion plants. I found it in my local library, and I read it. I think it worth to get one so I bought it by Amazon: The price? 7$ for one hardcover (including shipping).

Nelson

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  10. richardbeasley@comcast.net

Thanks Nel, I am always into seven dollar books so I picked it up asap. There is one other book I want this is the link to it on Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/Humic-Fulvic-Microbial-Balance-Conditioning/dp/0963574108/ref=sr_11_1/104-0197949-0304709?ie=UTF8&qid=1194134335&sr=11-1 please ask everyone to take up a collection and send it to me as there are only two left. How do I insert smiley faces? but I really do want this book that part is not a joke.

11. nelran

nelran Active Member

You're welcome, Richard.
    Your linked a book that it seems more expensive than one of the Guttemberg's Bibles!! I didn't know that the "micobial balance" cost too much. Definitely for me is cheaper to find out answers for my questions in this forum.....

12. richardbeasley@comcast.net

I know someone with this book and she paid like 55 dollars for it about six years ago. I wonder how many gardening book have grown in value like that one has. Could there be other specific gardening/sicence text books that will increase in value by 1400 %, in just a few years.

13. nelran

nelran Active Member

It's doing better than most of the stocks in Wall Street.

14. richardbeasley@comcast.net

It sure is, I wonder if there is a way to figure out which books would be worth simply buying them as an investment. The book called The Genies Hosta sold for 49 dollars and it is now going for 200.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  15. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

I just bought the Pocket version of Japanese Maples by Vertrees and Peter Gregory. It was at Barnes and Nobles for $19.95 and came to $21.00. Very handy and cheaper to begin your collection of Japanese Maples books that is up to date and easy to carry around.

16. richardbeasley@comcast.net

I really don't need it here in Richmond, as I only need three picture of Japanese maples, that would be the red, the green and the very rare brownish-tan and green dissectum.

17. raretrees

raretrees Member

The New Ornamentals Society just released a huge tree encyclopedia called CULTIVARS OF WOODY PLANTS which includes 971 different maple cultivars with lots of descriptive detail and history. There are a good number of new and rare maples not found in print before.

PDF Ebook copies are available from http://www.cultivar.org or http://www.newplantpage.com

18. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Rare you know if this book is possible send in Europe?

19. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Alex,

Should be no problem. It is an e-book, i.e., electronic (pdf format), so it can be downloaded from anywhere.

20. richardbeasley@comcast.net

Wow one thousand three hundred pages, I would much rather have a printed version.

21. 01876

01876 Active Member

Re: New book

I just got this book form Japan this week. Totally agree with you Gomero. This book has lots of nice pleasing photos but it only covers Japanese introduced cultivars with few exceptions. Also the descriptions of the cultivars are really not much but its origination and seasonal leaf colors. Believe me what you read in English is what it says in Japanese.

Joe

22. pensylvaticum

pensylvaticum Active Member

I am sorry but that really does take the mickey, selling society memberships for $200, to get access to information on the internet (refering to the 1000 pages)who is going to pay money like that to join a society.I would not pay for a book for that nor a tree.Whom ever posted that is silly for posting this kind of person on this site.

23. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

It looks like the $200 fee is for an educational membership.

There is a corporate membership for $89 and an individual for $45.

Can you only access the e-book with an educational membership?

Anyway, I am with richardbeasley - I'd rather have a printed version. I wonder if there are any plans to publish?

24. pensylvaticum

pensylvaticum Active Member

Hi Spooky,
    Sorry for the delay in reply. Ike has knocked the power out and we do not have internet access so I have to go to thwe public library thus the quick reply.I spoke to Mr.Beasley, whom is not disagreeable at all and said you can get a hard copy this autumn for $115 which is wonderful, and I would in agreement rather have a hard copy, and this is a fair price for a large volume book.However $45 for membership is not the same, but not too bad, and he is selling them on eBay. If you go to the provided links it is linked to eBay which is where I had the price mentioned, however I did not stay on the site very long.
    Best Wishes.
    P

25. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

Hi P,

I am so sorry to hear about your storm struggles. I do understand, having lived in Florida for many years. Also, being from Texas, I have a lot of friends and family in and around Houston that still dont have power. They said it is "Little House on the Prairie" down there! Luckily, all are still in one piece and beginning to dry out.

Anyway - thank you for the response. Do you know where we can buy these $115 hardcopies?