A.p. 'Van den Akker' Family tree

Discussion in 'Maples' started by spookiejenkins, Oct 23, 2007.

1. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

Evening y'all,

I am searching for information about a JM called 'Van den Akker' or 'Van der Akker'.

Anyone in the know on this one?

I appreciate any insight!

Thanks.

2. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

a maple nursery I have dealt with for years lists van de aker/akker as a green leaf
    form with yellow Fall color. 4 foot MOUND variety. Winter stems are pale blue-green
    color. To reach nursey 707 996 0364. Good luck.

3. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

4. spookiejenkins

Both www.Esveld.nl and www.Maillot-Erable.com list 'Van der Akker' as a green palmate type. The tree I have is a lovely bi-color laceleaf - not quite green, not quite purple. So far, I have found no one with any information about its origins *even other people and nurseries that have it themselves!). ???

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

6. spookiejenkins

Thank you Ron - I have e-mailed Sky Nursery to see if they have any information about this cultivar's origins. In my search I have found that in the US, trees named 'Van der Akker' or 'Van den Akker' are dissectums with green/purple coloring. In Europe, trees with this name are a described as a green palmate type - with the exception of Karen Junker at Junker's Nsy - she has the bi-color dissectum.

There also seems to be conifers with this same name that are fairly common here in the US. I just wish I could discover the origin of this cultivar. No one seems to know.

7. Ron B

There was a Van Den Akker nursery and landscaping company operating for years east of Seattle. It has been assumed that the 'Van Den Akker' Nootka cypress was selected by them but I haven't seen if there was any basis for this other than the cultivar name being the same. There could be thousands of people with that name in Europe - I don't know.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  8. spookiejenkins

I FOUND IT!!! By pestering everyone I could find, I finally followed the trail back to Van den Akker's Landscaping and Hydroseeding in Tulalip, WA. It is 'Van den Akker' and pronounced Ahhhhhkker - imagine the noise you might make while sinking into a hot bath after a crap day. Ahhhhh.

When I get further details, I will share.

Happy day!

9. Ron B

Probably the same company that I was talking about, in a new location, with a somewhat different name. What connects them to the tree(s)?

10. spookiejenkins

Ron - I was thinking the same thing - you were correct it seems.

The Van den Akker family owns the landscaping and hydroseeding company in Tulalip, but also has (or had perhaps) a nursery in Bothell, very near Seattle.

The original Van den Akker maple was grown at 10522 East Riverside Drive in Bothell, WA and selected by Antonius Van den Akker, who unfortunately passed in 2000. I spoke to his son, Amil, who did say that his father named several plants, so I assume the 'Van den Akker' cypress is from Antonius as well.

The original Acer palmatum 'Van den Akker' was named in the early 60's and the gentleman I spoke with, Amil Van den Akker, recalls the mature tree to have a 5' spread, being not quite as tall. Unfortunately, the parent tree no longer survives, but the cultivar can be found in select nurseries all over the world.

I purchased my tiny one year graft from Herter Nursery in NC. So far, I enjoy it very much. There are so many "green laceleaf" maples that run together due to their similarity, so the 'Van den Akker' is definitely refreshing. With moderate sun, it is truly bi-color, being a deep almost holly-like green with purple edges. The foliage is thicker and much shinier than any laceleaf I have seen and the leaves are fairly small. It is not a "feathery" dissectum by any means. In shade, I am told it goes completely green but still retains the gloss and habit - which is decidedly less weeping than most dissectums.

Maybe I am a big geek, but I was truly excited to find out about this tree. I am so happy to share this information. Mr. Amil Van den Akker was very friendly and helpful and seemed to enjoy talking about his father. I think this is part of the reason I love maples so much - for the wonderful people and stories attached to them.

I hope this little bit of information helps to spread the word about a great cultivar and inspires a few of you to add it to your collections.

11. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks Katie for your detective work ;-)), I really appreciate it, I do also enjoy finding out.
    But, please, do not stop!!! there are so many other lesser known cultivars waiting to have their origins uncovered....

Gomero

12. nelran

nelran Active Member

Katie,
    You can ask to Jim (Mr. shep), probably he knows something more about the origin/hystory this cultivar.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  13. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Katie,

Could you post a pic of your 'Van den akker'?

Gil

14. eq72521

eq72521 Active Member

I have a AP VD akker. It does have nice bicolor leaves. Similiar to Ornatum. I like its semi cascading form the best. It seems like a medium grower. This is a 2yr old tree that as I got as a graft, so I guess three years.

Brighter red goes bicolor pretty quick. Other areas my vary.
    Mike

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  15. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Thanks Mike

Good looking plant.

Gil

16. spookiejenkins

Hi G - sorry for the delay in response... Technology has failed me momentarily as my digital camera pooped out on me. I managed a new hand-me-down camera as a replacement and wouldn't u know it?... The CD drive on my PC kicked the bucket so I cannot install the software necessary to upload images from the camera. Helpful coincidence, no?

I am trying to get you a pic of my 'Van den Akker'. It's a badass. :) Very different than any of my foo-foo lace-leafs. Mine does not look much like Mike's though - in the pics 2 posts back. Maybe its the difference in the amount of sun, but my 'Van den Akker' is dark green with purple margins and leaves so thick and shiny they are almost leathery.

As soon as I can rejoin the general population of the technologically equipped, I promise to post pictures. It is one of my favorites, just because it is so very different (and shiny. I love shiny.).

17. Ron B

Today I was made aware that a laceleaf maple I have passed by for years in a friend's garden is a 40-year-old example of this selection. It is roughly 3' by 7' or so. The friend believes this and the cypress were not named 'Van Den Akker' by Antonius, but probably given these designations later by T. Buchholz instead. The cypress was sold by the family in the old days as 'Pendula'. Another member of the family still has a nursery and continues to produce the cypress - I've heard him refer to it as 'Van Den Akker' so apparently he adopted that designation at some point.

My friend also has a 40-year-old example of the cypress.

18. KittyB

KittyB Member

I have really enjoyed reading about the "van den Akker's" - it is my maiden name but I am not related to the grower! Now I have to find both these trees for my garden.
    Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2022