what species of hibiscus ?

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by mikeyinfla, Sep 29, 2007.

1. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

heres a pic of the flower and a leaf

Attached Files:

2. poodle

poodle Member

That is the oddest leaf I have ever seen. I've seen a lot of Hybiscus plants and never have I seen one with that kind of leaf. The flower color is gorgeous. You's think with a leaf like that it wouldn't be hard to identify it.

poodle

3. poodle

poodle Member

I found a site that might be of interest to you.

http://www.hotkey.net.au/~ganmor/howie/nomen.htm

Click on 'intro' and scan to the bottom of the page, you'll see bloom and leaf types. The very last row has leaves that resemble yours. This might be a good place to start looking. Although your leaves have a deeper groove, plants can change and adapt.

poodle

4. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

before it flowered i took a leaf to the police department to make sure it was not hemp or pot the leaves where smaller than but now are too big to be that and it sorta has burrs on the leaves and the flower looks way different pot is related to hibiscus so maybe its some sort of hybrid or maybe its a little known species of hibiscus.i have no clue

5. poodle

poodle Member

(before it flowered i took a leaf to the police department to make sure it was not hemp)

ROFL!!! Yeah,that crossed my mind too. Burrs on the leaves?, you may just have a real oddity, where did you get it? Whatever your doing to it keep it up, that is one healthy looking plant!

poodle

P.S. Is your name mike or mikey?

6. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

either or. rarely do people call me michael. usually think i am in trouble when someone does even though i am 35 lol

7. poodle

poodle Member

So, where did you get this plant mike? I'm really intrigued by it.

poodle

8. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Possibly Hibiscus radiatus. There is actually a species named H. cannabinus (kenaf) syn. Hibiscus sabdariffa due to its similar leaves--it is also a fiber plant.

Not that closely related actually, Hibiscus is family Malvaceae in the Order Malvales, while Cannabis is in its own family, Cannabaceae in the Order Rosales. It is just a case of similar leaf shape. I will note though, that this plant is more likely to be mistaken for marijuana than say Acer palmatum.

http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Hibiscus/galleryF.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiscus
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis

9. poodle

poodle Member

I have been reading up on Hibiscus's and they are related to Althea's. I have had Althea's and I know for a fact they don't have burrs on their leaves, but Okra and Holly Hock's which I have had both of and which the Hibiscus is related to also, do have burrs or what you would consider prickly little hairs on their leaves.

poodle

10. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes Althaeas and hollyhocks are also Malvaceae, a family with many showy flowered members. The first link I placed in the last post was a page from a very nice site on the family. Here is the home page--loads of info and images of the plants.

MALVACEAE INFO

11. poodle

poodle Member

I think you may be onto something Eric. Follow this link:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=HIRA

When you get there click on the green image of Florida and then click image and then click on the image. Looks very similar to mike's picture.

poodle

12. alabama

alabama Active Member

The leaf looks like a Louisiana swamp hibiscus (hibiscus coccineus). I have one but the flower is different. I hope this helps.

13. poodle

poodle Member

Thanks for the link but it's too technical for me, most of it is going zooooom, right over my head! Only a true botanist could keep all that stuff straight.

poodle

14. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

hibiscus radiatus seems to be the species ty all for the responses now i know what it is.

15. dean1956

dean1956 Member

Hi, I just joined the forum today and was also looking for the exact same identification of my hibiscus. I have also attached pictures taken back this summer when it was in bloom.
    I thought the same exact thing - that the leaves looked like a pot plant!!!
    After mine finished blooming I also noticed that the stalks of the flower turned a very red color. I bought my hibiscus at an exotic plant and flower shop thinking it was just a regular hibiscus.
    What is the proper name for this species?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  16. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

you'res look like texas start hardy hibiscus and the sientific name would be Hibiscus coccineus

17. dean1956

dean1956 Member

Thank you Mike, for the information. I went to the Wikipedia link that Mr La Fountaine provided and mine is very similar to the picture there.
    Another question is, can you subdivide this plant by the roots to grow more or how do you start new growth? I guess I kinda answered my own question but need more.
    I just went outside to look at my hibiscus and found there are dried pods with seeds inside so I assume I could try to start new ones from the seeds. Just do not know the specifics like, regular potting soil, how deep to plant, when to plant, should seeds be soaked before planting and things like that?

18. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

when i plant any hibiscus seed i place in the soil and just cover lightly and it depends on what i have mixed up as to the type of soil equal parts peat perlite and topsoil or soiless mix just peat and perlite. i have grown the texas star from cutting have not tried with the radianthus

19. dean1956

dean1956 Member

Thank you again for the information. There is so much to learn here and such nice people with a world of knowledge. This is a great web site!!!!
    Should I try and plant a few of the seeds now or just wait until spring?

20. alabama

alabama Active Member

Hibiscus needs a long day to bloom. I have a few planted from October and they just sit in my greenhouse and don't grow. I use very little heat. I keep it just above freezing. My roses grow, and a lot of other plants grow but the hibiscus just seems to sit there.

21. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

i never did answer where i got it it was in a trade i had done i wanted one of the bush morning glories so sent some seeds of several different plants and got the bush morning glory an some other seeds and the radianthus was in them