Growing a Acer palmatum ( Burgundy Lace Japanese Maple ) Indoors

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Howard, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Howard

Howard Member

I have had these trees at different times in my life, but as I traveled alot they always were in pots and for the most part kept outdoors.

But now that I have bought a house and settled in ID, I bought another one but wish to grow it as an indoor tree (next to my Saber Ficus 'Ficus binnendijkii 'Alii').

It is in a 3gal pot and the tree is 3' tall. The room is brightly lit and recieves full sunlight through out the day.

But I have noticed that some of the leaves are showing light purple with green, while the others are the deep burgandy. I did not think that it was light starved but could use some info from any and all that have grown this beautiful tree indoors.

TIA

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Maples cannot be grown indoors. It will die, sorry. If you get it outside now, perhaps it can be saved.

Not good news I know, but HTH,

-E

3. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

I also am of the opinion that Japanese Maples will not survive indoors

4. Howard

Howard Member

Thanks for your input, but I beg to differ with you... although it is not the optimal place for a lace leaf they have been kept as 'Bonzai' through out the ages.....

5. Howard

Howard Member

Checked out your site.... Nice garden.....
    Have you ever kept a lace leaf inside as a 'Bonzai' at least?

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Interesting point, Howard. I was under the impression that A. palmatum, even grown as bonsai, needed winter dormancy to survive. But I don't do bonsai, so not really qualified to comment... Do you know of cases where such trees survive without entering winter dormancy?

Still, I can say I know something about maples generally, and I've never heard of anyone having success keeping one as a house plant.

I wonder if there's someplace less heated you could keep it during the winter months, like a garage?

HTH and the very best of luck,

-E

7. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Howard ... I am notorious for killing bonsai .....
    They need a lot ( and I mean a lot) of love and attention which I find I just can't give
    Good luck with your efforts ....

8. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

if one man(or women) live in prison no problem !one maple live indoor but is life?for similar conditions exist a big number of another plant!Of course is a friendely advice ....

9. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi.

There is indoor and there is outdoor bonsai as well. Bonsai doesn't mean indoor.

Maples would be outdoor bonsai.

Schusch

10. mikesilva4

mikesilva4 Member

I have 5 japanese maples growing indoors and they sre beautiful, You have to spend some money on good grow lights with full spectrum to bring out all the colors with the different colors or the turn more of a green or loose color that they should have i have grow lights that i have set on timers that i also use for my reptiles. if they are kept above 52 degrees they will keep growing right through the winter they still loose leaves but are replaced with new growth almost instantly and you get a fatter tree alot quicker if you like the fat trunks. I have a katsura,orido nishki, kyohime,red pixie, and a lions head maple and they are real healthy and full. i have been growing them indoors for about 4 years. so........ with the right lighting (not sunlight through the windows because the windows block out the uv rays
    ) you can grow them indoors. use a tempature gage of any type and look into reptile lighting for heat in a controled area.

11. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I have a hard time believing this. As it has been pointed out maples need to go dormant. They could however survive a couple of years before dying. If Japanese maples could successfully be grown in Jakarta or Caracas we should have heard of it already.

Gomero

12. gnikoom

gnikoom New Member

fascinating! can I ask, under grow lights how many hours per day do you provide through the winter?
    thank you for all the information.
    gnikoom

13. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

can I ask, under grow lights how many hours per day do you provide through the winter?

Note that preceding comments are from 12 years ago.

14. gnikoom

gnikoom New Member

lol I did realize that, but i’m in the beginning stages and learning myself... some info could be valuable even if outdated, but updated with tweaking!

15. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Point was one or more previous participants may no longer be reading the thread.