ZZ Plant

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by supermomofdeas, Mar 28, 2008.

1. supermomofdeas

supermomofdeas Member

Hi My kids got me a ZZ plant for mothers day. i had to put it in a bigger pot it got to big for the one it was in. now that i have done that some of the stems are turning yellow and black. so far there are 2 that was can i stop it from happing to the hols thing. i do not have many plants so that is why my kids and husband got this one for me i an bad at keeping them a live. i could some help on this.
    thank you
    Becky

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

There are lots of questions that show up on UBC regarding Zamioculcas zamiifolia and for some odd reason the search engine on the forum won't find the term "ZZ". Your plant is an unusual aroid from Africa. It grows in an area that is perpetually wet during part of the year but dry for another very long period. As a result, a lot of people suggest not to water this plant but a few times a month. That will work, but in most cases so will frequent watering. The difference may be the soil. The plant prefers very sandy soil that does not stay muddy. You didn't specify how you water the plant but check to see if the soil is muddy. If it is, then you will need to change all the soil to something that contains sand and soil mixed. The commercial product Perlite will also help.

A few leaves yellowing is nothing to be concerned about. Just snip them off. If a leaf becomes dislodged you can actually begin a new plant by placing it on the soil and keep it slightly damp. The aroid prefers bright but not direct light. I water the one in my tropical atrium along with all the other tropical plants, which is frequent, but I have talked to expert growers who water it infrequently. You can find more information here:

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=29376&highlight=Zamioculcas+zamiifolia

You can also find a great deal more information by doing a search with the search engine at the top of the page by using the scientific name, Zamioculcas zamiifolia.

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

That is the exact reason I like to keep pots on the small side. All that extra soil stays wet and the plant rots.

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Certainly, if you feel more comfortable with that approach, not a problem. I just ammend the soil well, make sure it drains quickly and watch them grow.