Zucchini plants not doing so well...

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by marlique, Jun 3, 2011.

1. marlique

marlique Active Member

I started a garden on top of my garage. So as to avoid boiling radiating heat coming from the garage top, I have organized a special setup that allows air circulation under th pots (see picture).

Since I have planted them outside, we have had weird weather in Montreal. First it rained continually for many days, and when it would stop, we had only grey skies and humidity until it would start again. To the point that I got concerned they would drown.

Then, there have been violent winds, I'm talking really strong. Like, my neighbour's gigantic tree got torn to the ground. It was pretty cold at times but never below 5 degrees Celsius.

I have attached pictures of the first symptoms on the leaves. All the leaves that were affected were the ones the plants grew indoors as I was sprouting the seeds, so maybe they just couldn't take the abuse of the great outdoors. Since then, all these affected leaves have died off and shed.

I'm concerned that the symptoms will spread to the rest of the leaves but until now, no signs of decay on those ones. Does anyone know what happened?

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Looks like sunscorch, with maybe some effect from the strong winds thrown in. It is best to introduce indoors grown plants gradually to the great outdoors, say two hours the first day and so on, so that they can adjust to the much more intense sunlight and wind etc.

The leaves that developed after they were put out will not be affected, nothing to worry about there. Hope you get a good crop!

3. marlique

marlique Active Member

Actually, I did take about 10 days to ensure the transition between indoors and outdoors.

Also, it seems like the other leaves are starting to suffer as well. I have bought sulphur dust in case this is fungus, but I can't know for sure.

Any other ideas?