Zones

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by MaurieC, Sep 15, 2008.

1. MaurieC

MaurieC Member

Excuse me, but whats all this Zone stuff??? Are you guys in some cold sort of place or something. Here in Wanganui New Zealand we have an extremely temperate climate and most things grow easily. The tree I asked about is growing on the shady side of my sister-in-laws house and is quite tall.

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Re: Stacyurus Praecox

In Europe, USA, Canada etc they have zones with numbers over here it is just Tropical, sub tropical, temperate etc. There are some sites that will translate the zone numbers to our names. Sorry don't have a link though mate

Ed

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

just about everywhere has some kind of 'zone' attached to it to assist with knowing what the hardiness of plants would be in a given area.

if you look at the right-side panel and scroll down to the middle of it, you'll see a link to 'hardiness zone maps' and that page has links to the maps for all the continents (except the poles).

4. edleigh7

Thanks for that Joclyn didn't know that was there lol.
    Hmmm had a bit of a look and don't agree with the bits concerning Australia at all. That is saying that places east of Melbourne are the same as Brisbane!! Which they aren'y by a long shot. Maybe it just applies to bulbs and is very generalised, but interesting nevertheless.

Ed

5. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Most zone maps only indicate winter cold hardiness, but do not take into account summer temperatures. Some newer models in the US include those summer temps, but most plants have only been catagorized as to winter hardiness.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Climate zones, hardiness zones and heat zones have all been developed. The only ones that address all the weather conditions are the climate zones. The only climate zone system I have seen is the one made by Sunset Publishing Corporation for part of North America.

7. edleigh7

Thanks for the clarification guys!!

Ed