zone 2

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Michael Wasnuk, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Michael Wasnuk

Michael Wasnuk Member

Two years ago I moved to Northern Minnesota. On the zone map we're in a small patch of zone 2. I am having trouble finding things to landscape with. I'm looking for trees, bushes and shrubs that are unusual and interesting. Any ideas? Thanks, Mike

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Your local natives, such as Eastern White Pine, Red Pine, Jack Pine, White Spruce, Black Spruce, Tamarack Larch, Balsam Fir, Arborvitae, Paper Birch, Yellow Birch, Bur Oak, American Rowan, Black Cherry, Chokecherry, Pin Cherry, American Plum, Sugar Maple, Mountain Maple, Manitoba Maple, American Basswood, Buffaloberry, Black Ash, Green Ash. You've got some very nice trees there.

Then most additional species from the Canadian Rockies should do well too, which will add species like Engelmann Spruce, Whitebark Pine, etc. And a whole lot more from Siberia, such as Siberian Larch, Siberian Pine, Siberian Dwarf Pine, Scots Pine, Siberian Fir, etc, etc.

3. treelover3

treelover3 Active Member

Hi Mike
    I have cousins that live in Bemidji and you're right, it is a challenge to landscape using plants that are unique.

Michael F (aka Resin) has given you a good list of natives to plant. There are, however, quite a few dwarf cultivars from these species plants, if you're looking to plant something that isn't going to be 100' tall. (I don't know how much space you have; maybe you want something that's 100' tall? (:o)

If you're looking for dwarf conifers, I would check out the Porterhowse Farms web site.

http://www.porterhowse.com/

Don Howse has an extensive listing of unusual conifers available for sale via mail order. I have ordered from Don many times and he sends out excellent material. I don't believe that Don has updated his site for 2006 yet, but I would guess he'll have the site updated in the next few weeks.

You could also send for the Coenosium Gardens catalog.

http://www.coenosium.com/

Bob Fincham doesn't have his catalog online, so you need to send for the printed copy. The cost is $3.00 and the cost is refundable on your first order. Bob does have some very nice information on conifers listed on his site, so be sure to take a look around.

I have received very nice plants from Bob, also. Bob's listing isn't as extensive as Don's, but it sure is fun to look and dream. (I want a Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca Pendula' so bad I can taste it, but, alas, this plant won't survive zone 4a, in Minneapolis. Bummer.

Good luck in your search.

If you ever make it to the Twin Cities, there are many nurseries here that carry some very nice plants that will survive zone 2, in Northern Minnesota. Gerten's Greenhouses (in Inver Grove Heights, a suburb of St. Paul) has the LARGEST selection in the Twin Cities. Just be prepared for sticker shock since slow-growing ("dwarf") plants are a lot more expensive than their fast-growing, seed-grown counterparts.
    Mike

4. Michael Wasnuk

Michael Wasnuk Member

Thanks Mike for all your helpful information. It's sure nice to know that someone besides myself dreams and wonders how certain trees or plants will look in the landscaping. My wife thinks I'm nuts. I can spend hours on end putzing around outside from spring to fall not too mention the money I can spend. Sometimes I'll buy a shrub or tree plant it and hope she doesn't see it for awhile than tell her its been there for a few months (it doesn't work that often). I live on three an half acres, most which is wooded with White Pine,Birch, Choke Cherries, some Oak and who can forget the infamous Jack Pine(what a nasty tree). However half an acre has a nice carpet of grass with some Fruitless plum trees and Alberta spruce which the deer ate this year. If you know of any ornimental grasses that may grow here, that would be great. Once again thanks. I think your suggestion on dwarf trees would look nice. It would scale my landscaping down a little. Mike

5. schizac

schizac Member

There are some great grasses native to MN: Sorghastrum nutans (tall), Schizachyrium scoparium (medium), Sprobolus heterolepis (medium), Koeleria macrantha (small). Have fun!

6. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Hello
    For just a completelty different contrast to an half acre of grass, try a zen like Japanese approach, with pea gravel....and show your wife what a tranquil/carefree garden can look like...if not pea gravel...try crushed granite or your localized stone
    there are a few hardy bamboo that may survive in your climatic zone 2/1...dwarf
    bamboo for example...I am fascinated by dry climate gardens... you have many options to choose,Sumac could do well too, good luck!
    K Baron