Zamioculcas ZZ plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by zzlover, Jun 12, 2007.

1. zzlover

zzlover Member

Hello, I am new to the UBC Botanical Garden. I have a ZZ PLANT that I started (3) years ago from a single leaf. It has grown to 28" tall and is doing quite well. It has 7 stalks. I give it a good soaking every 3-4 weeks during the winter months and let it completely dry out between waterings. In the summer (2-3 weeks) I have never fertilized my plant because I have no idea what the best fertilizer is for this plant. I have learned that it can produce flowers, although I haven't seen any yet. Can anyone please tell me the best fertilizer to use, soil? and how to get it to produce flowers?? Thanks everyone.

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

The flowers are not particularly that attractive, (mine has not flowered..... yet) but I have heard other ZZ owners that gave their zz's more indirect light, or just a little bit of morning sun in an east window, or placed off to the side of west window.

Use a balanced fertilizer such as 10-10-10, 20-20-20

3. zzlover

zzlover Member

Thanks very much for your reply. I was doing some research and you're right! I also found out that they are rather unattractive. I appreciate your suggestion for fertilizer. Much appreciated.
    ZZ

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Since the "ZZ" plant (Zamioculcas zamiifolia Engl.) is an aroid it does not flower in the way you might be expecting. Aroids produce a spathe and spadix rather than what is thought of as a "flower". There are flowers on the spadix but they are tiny and it would take a good magnifying glass, a really good one, to see them. The spathe is similar to the one you've likely seen on a Peach Lily which is also an aroid although the shape of every aroid's inflorescence is different. The portion that most would normally call the "flower" is actually the spathe which surrounds the spadix. The spadix is similar to an elongated pine cone and is often white although the color can vary. The plant will eventually produce both male and female flowers on the spadix. These flowers are distinctly divided and if the right insect is present to do the pollination can be induced to produce seeds.

This is one odd aroid and is the only one that can reproduce by simply laying a leaf on the soil. The species likes really dry winters but can tolerate a great deal more water during the summer. Some folks actually under water in the summer and over water in the winter. I recently posted a fairly detailed description of this species on this board at this locations:

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=11469

Bluewing's advice is solid. If you are having success with the plant don't change your method of watering. By the way, your plant sounds as though it has reached its max height so it may produce a spathe sooner than you think if properly cared for.

5. zzlover

zzlover Member

Thank you for your reply and helpful suggestions for my ZZ plant. Yep, it's gotta be the nicest plant I've ever owned. It took my plant 3 years to get to 28" tall. I've started 'two' other plants for each of my grown sons and I laugh each time they ask me are your sure that's a real plant? Because it is such a slow grower. I just stuck a leaf or two in a partilally sandy soil 4" pot and they are both coming along nice. I agree, I think I'll just continue to do what I'm doing, which is "nothing" really. I simply make sure I don't overwater it. Oh yeah, call me a nut - but I'm one of those gardeners who 'talks' to her plants. LOL ~ Thanks again for explaining to me all about the flowering process.
    ZZ