Zamioculcas baby leaves?

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by wcutler, Jun 17, 2016.

1. wcutler

wcutler Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

My ZZ plant, Zamioculcas zamiifolia, has a wee new sprout, like a bonzai ZZ, and a couple of other sprouts with just two leaves so far. I've had it for three or four years, don't remember that it flowered. There's not much to this plant - all the leaves turned yellow last year (well, there were only four leaves); now it still has four leaves, two yellow and two new ones that look good. I'm just wondering if the new sprouts are what baby ZZs look like (photos I'm seeing of new plants show close to regular sized leaves), since the new shoots have always come up from the main plant, as full-size leaves. This would be from a seed, or would an offshoot of the parent plant look like this?

Zamioculcas-ZZ-plant_Cutler_P1260075.JPG

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member

I don't know what it is, but doubt it's a baby ZZ. It doesn't have the same leaf type. It does however look interesting and unlike common weeds in some potting soils.

3. wcutler

I now think it is a baby ZZ. I passed some for sale at a corner store near me that have shoots twice the size, but still have the slender stems, with a sheath around the bottom of the stem as on mine. The new leaflets on mine are similar to those on the old leaves, including what looks like a spiny tip that is actually more like a soft hair.
    Zamioculcas-zamifolia-ZZplant_ShopOnDenman_Cutler_20160620_130159.jpg

The reason this was so confusing to me was that usually, even in photos, we see the new shoots on fat stems, as in this photo.
    Toxic Plants & Fungi
    Never mind the "toxic" part of that link name; it's not likely poisonous. There is a lot of into at
    http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Zamioculcas zamiifolia pc.html

I finally found one photo of a shoot from leaf cuttings that shows similar stems, though not the tight cluster of new leaflets as on mine. I had a lot of fallen leaflets on the soil. Maybe some reproduced themselves.
    http://indoor-plants.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Leaf-cuttings.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member

Well, this is exciting! I had heard that they can grow from a single leaf, somewhere in Internetopolis. Probably a chanced upon blog. Anyhow, now that I know what it is, I can see a what I think would be called a cataphyll, that eventually papery part that shields the new growth. I was expecting, as I think you were, a more substantial thicker leaf for even a new erupted plant. Are you going to leave it there or repot it now or eventually?

5. wcutler

The larger plant is (well, looks like two plants are) so sparse, I'm just going to leave the new growth and let them fight it out. I don't have room for or interest in having new plants.

6. wcutler

This is off topic, but it's my thread, so here are photos of my ZZ plant's flowers, or the two spathes anyway. The baby plant that started this thread doesn't seem to have grown much, but I'm still not interested in moving it. And I see I have two cotyledons. It will be apartment living for the plants in this pot. I have five leaves now, but one is starting to turn yellow. I read that it doesn't like too much water, but mine didn't seem to like being dry. Now I've just read that it would like dry winters, more water in summer.
    Zamioculcas-zamiifoliaZZPlant_home_Cutler_20170424_P1290012.JPG Zamioculcas-zamiifoliaZZPlant_home_Cutler_20170424_P1290006.JPG Zamioculcas-zamiifoliaZZPlant_home_Cutler_20170424_P1290009.JPG Zamioculcas-zamiifoliaZZPlant_home_Cutler_20170424_P1290008.JPG