Yucca?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by findarato, Jul 8, 2006.

1. findarato

findarato Member

Hi All,

First post, so please forgive any breaches of etiquette! Recently moved into a new house in south east england (near London). Have 6, what I think are a variety of Yucca, at various stages of maturity in the rear (south facing) garden. Please could someone help me identify what they are?

A flower spike appeared on 3 of the plants and flowering finished about two weeks ago. Small white/cream flowers, lovely fragrance, covered with Honey Bees for days. As well as identifying the variety, I have a few additional questions:

1. Should I remove the flower spikes now they have finished flowering?
    2. What is the likely cause of the leaf markings displayed on one of the plants?

If I need to post these in an alternative forum, just let me know.

With many thanks and regards,

Attached Files:

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

Cordyline australis its got a fungal leaf spot, give them a mulch of some good compost.

3. findarato

findarato Member

Thanks Oscar, will get to grips with the leaf spot.

4. Orchid Citrus

Orchid Citrus Member

Hi. My yuccas flower every year from May until a frost ( can be December as we don't get many here in SW France ). I would imagine that the current European heatwave has sparked your flowering.

Cutting back the dead flower spike is up to you as I find that it make no difference to future flowerings.