Your Help is Greatly Appreciated

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by desmoines, Jun 1, 2009.

1. desmoines

desmoines Member

Attached are two plants that we've been having difficulty identifying. Both are from Lowe's and were listed as "assorted foliage," so we haven't been able to figure out what they are. We're concerned that they may be toxic for our cats (notice the bite marks on the second plant), so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Desmoines,
    Plants 1. 2. & 3. look like Aspidistra or Cast Iron Plant, but I'm not sure I sometimes get it confused with Chinese Evergreen. The other I don't know, but the plant in the blue pot in pic #5 is one of the Philodendrons. No mater which, they are "toxic" to animals. Just to be sure on any plant go to "TTL Poisonus Plants" on the web. They have a pretty good list and some will suprise you.....barb

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

I think 1.2&3 are a Strelitzia of some sort.

4. JanR

JanR Active Member

Number 4 is a dieffenbachia of some sort. It is also know as a dumb cane. The sap is poisonous, so I wouldn't think that if would be good to chew on.

5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

saltceder & desmoines,
    I've had two kinds of Strelitzia and on both the leaves have a bluish, dull cast not that dark green, shiney look. The leaves on the common showey ones (Planted in yards all over warm areas commonly called Bird of Paradise) are stiff and look like the are begining to fold, but they don't. The tall one I had that blooms plain white, out grew an 8' ceiling in two yrs. It always looked more like a banana plant. #4 a deif. will show up on the poison plant list as toxic! Is #5 the same plant?
    barb

6. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  7. desmoines

desmoines Member

The first plant (1-3) was a Bird of Paradise after all and the second plant (4-5) was definitely a dieffenbachia (which means that I have several new office plants).

Thanks so much for everyone's input!