young Lonicera

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by josephine, Jun 8, 2006.

1. josephine

josephine Active Member

i just planted a young Lonicera periclymenum. it was growing well at first then i noticed the older leaves were getting yellowish. is this a sign am not doing everything right?

Attached Files:

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

Its got a bad case of mildew by the looks of it, it also looks very congested on its cane, can you not untie it and spread the stems out?

3. josephine

josephine Active Member

Will do that. Thank you.

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

Too much water.

5. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

6. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

This plant is flowering and fruiting even now in NJ, Z7! It's a surprise to see and smell these flowers at a time of year when you can see your breath!

Attached Files:

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Purple or purplish leaves on the newer parts of the foliage are characteristic of 'Serotina'.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=...riclymenum+serotina"&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=1

Maybe yours was more purple earlier in the year, and will be again next spring. Purple leaf color is one of those things that tends to deteriorate badly in hot climates. If it's consistently green only throughout the season that may indicate it is actually another variety.

8. Poetry to Burn

This vine has plenty of purple at certain times. Not sure if it correlates with heat or fertilizer or moisture or ???.

Kinda shocking to see robust flowers and fruit as its been cold enough to snow!

9. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have two varieties of the native Lonicera sempervirens and they are still blooming with berries. I'm just south of you in Maryland. They usually start blooming in early June and bloom on and off until hard frost in my zone 7 garden.

Newt

10. Poetry to Burn

Great to have fragrance in the garden in autumn.
    This vine is finally established. I think that explains so many flowers this late in the year.

11. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Later bloom is also characteristic of 'Serotina'. Most L. periclymenum do not flower after the main bloom in early summer, but certain named selections including 'Graham Thomas' and 'Serotina' continue on or get a second wind. 'Serotina' may also start later as well, I'm not sure - I've got a 'Serotina' growing on the ground in one garden and on a fence in another. (The first garden also has 'Graham Thomas' up a tree). 'Belgica' and 'Serotina' have been differentiated as Early Dutch and Late Dutch honeysuckles, respectively.

'Graham Thomas' was selected after Mr. Thomas notice it flowering during Septemer in an English hedgerow.