Yew trees getting dieback

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by sparky030405, Nov 5, 2013.

1. sparky030405

sparky030405 Member

I have planted a row of Irish Yews, Taxus baccata 'Fastigiata' about 12 months ago and had had continuing problems with dieback. I don't know if they are getting too much water or too little or what their problem is. Appreciate any thoughts. I have ordered a moisture sensor, and a bag of Mycorrhizal fungi to encourage root development.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Don't know if the twig blight is connected (it can be) but yews ARE sensitive to impeded drainage - the small one that is becoming pale might have root rot.

3. sparky030405

sparky030405 Member

Thanks Ron. Timing for repeat problem makes me wonder as I was having same problem leading into summer (in Australia) last year. I had two cherry trees planted near them last year which got a lot of cherry slugs on it and there is a large mature cherry tree over the fence that had complete dieback of branches overhanging our fence.
    I sprayed them with Success. Am wondering if cherry slug might be my problem? I am in Australia here, so we are coming into summer at the moment…. Am going to apply lawn grub powder and Seasol to see if that helps before I lose more planting a this summer

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

None of those remedies is going to help. Agree with Ron B that bad drainage is the likely cause of the dieback. Soil aeration and decompaction would likely help, but isn't easy (for which, read 'expensive').