Hedges: Yew hedge turning brown

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by sukithecat, Oct 23, 2011.

1. sukithecat

sukithecat Member

I would greatly appreciate any assistance with this problem. We have a lovely 5 year old yew hedge that runs the length of our driveway (approximately 30 feet). Unfortunately, it was planted with fabric and a ground covering of river rock which I now have been told is not a good environment for the hedge (although it has done well for the past five years). In August the driveway was re-done and the 1st plant went brown at the bottom. We suspected it was burned by exhaust from the back hoe but now the browning of the hedge is travelling along the whole hedge. The roots are still healthy. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as it really is a lovely hedge and so disappointing to see it turn brown. Thank you very much.

2. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Driveway re-done with what? Concrete, asphalt, interlocking blocks? Was the level changed or the size of the driveway increased? Was the drainage pattern changed so that more or less water now flows toward your hedge? Did anyone dig alongside the plants?

Sorry, to ask all the questions, but often the answer is in careful observation of what happens under various conditions & what else has changed other than the driveway surface itself.

Yews get upset if the drainage is poor. Has there been any runoff from fresh asphalt or concrete going to their root area?

Just a few suggestions.

3. sukithecat

sukithecat Member

Thank you for your response. The driveway is the same level and size and the same material was used (concrete). The area under the hedge wasn't disturbed when the driveway was dug up. I will get some photos uploaded shortly to give a visual of the problem. I really appreciate the assistance - thank you.

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Did any equipment get washed off near them?

Is the "burn" on one side of the plant or plants (uniform), or one certain side or direction?

: - )

5. sukithecat

sukithecat Member

Thanks again and sorry for slow response. Had to get the photos. No, there were no chemicals from the driveway. There are, however, bugs now on the hedge. One landscaper said the bugs are attracted to the hedge because it is stressed, but the bugs are not the cause of the browning of the yew hedge. The roots as I said before are in great shape... so not sure how the bugs fit into the picture. Thank you so much for any assistance!

Attached Files:

6. sukithecat

sukithecat Member

Here is another photo... meant to upload both. The browning is on both sides of the hedge now. The browning of the hedge is spreading so really wanting to rectify the situation before we lose the hedge (expensive to replace :( )

Attached Files:

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Is it getting 'watered' by any pets?

8. sukithecat

sukithecat Member

We do have dogs in the neighbourhood who come by but the browning of the hedge is spreading. Here is another photo that gives you a better idea.

Attached Files:

• 030.jpg
      030.jpg
      File size:
      168.2 KB
      Views:
  9. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Did your contractor wash the driveway down with acid (Typically sulphuric acid if I remember correctly) after it set, then spray-off the excess with a hose? If not acid, then perhaps some other chemical treatment of the surface - concrete sealer for example that was sprayed in this area. The damage looks like a "burn" to me.

Perhaps you could ask.

10. sukithecat

sukithecat Member

Thank you - I will definitely ask the contractor about it. It does look burned... although it seems to be spreading too. Thanks again.

11. tsugajunkie

tsugajunkie Active Member

I'd lean toward the acid wash but another question is was any herbicide put down to control weed on the river rock?

tj

12. sukithecat

sukithecat Member

No herbicides were used. The browning started when the concrete was removed and then laid down again. At this point, the browning of the hedge continues. Another idea was spider mites but then another person had said the browning wouldn't be starting at the bottom of the hedge and moving up. Thanks again to everyone who is trying to figure this out. Just not certain of the next step to stop the browning from continuing.