yellowing clematis leaves

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by blockparty, Jun 15, 2006.

1. blockparty

blockparty Member

The leaves of my clematis (jackmanii?) are turning a golden yellow color and I'm not sure why. The clematis is grown in a container on my balcony and gets plenty of sun (the pot is protected from all but the earliest rays of the sun). I keep her nicely watered and have a few nasturtiums in the pot to shade her feet. Some of the lower leaves also have a bit of dusty black/brown "dirt" on them.

Any suggestions from the experts? Thanks in advance! -bp!

IMG_3147.jpg

IMG_3148.jpg

IMG_3150.jpg

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably needs to be fertilized and treated for mites.

3. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hello,

Because you are growing your clematis in a container it is very likely that the nutrients within the soil have been used up (by the plant) or leached out (as a result of watering). As Ron mentioned, it will require fertilizer to make for the lack of nutrients in the soil.

The black "dirt" may actually be sooty mould, although it is difficult to say for sure. Sooty mould is a fungus that grows on the honeydew excrement of piercing-sucking insects, such as scale or aphids. Have a close look and see if you can find either of those insects. You can also pat the leaves between your fingers. If it feels sticky then you know that insects have been feeding.

Raakel

4. blockparty

blockparty Member

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully a little fertilizer will do the trick.

-bp!