yellow wildflower BC gulf islands

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by llfield, Jun 18, 2012.

1. llfield

llfield Member

What is this smallish non-fragrant gold wildflower (flower 1 cm dia, stem about 20-30 cm tall)? Blooming now, BC gulf islands near Victoria. The flower has 8 petals with 3 lobes on end of each petal, there are other flower buds down the stem, and the leaves are narrow, paired and come up the stem. Sorry the flower not in focus (windy!) but you can see the leaves clearly just to SW of flower. Second photo shows group of them growing near mossy rocks.Thanks! Leigh

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. llfield

llfield Member

Thanks Daniel! That's it for sure. Leigh

To clarify, the woodland tarweed was photographed on the west end of Saturna Island, BC.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2012
  4. Andrey Zharkikh

Andrey Zharkikh Well-Known Member 10 Years

Lots of Goodyera plants growing on this spot, with their colorful leaves. I love seepages - they are always rich with exotic species.

5. Doug Hatlelid

Doug Hatlelid Member

Locally common apparently, I've seen quite a bit of it on Galiano Island, on the Georgia Strait side. For years I passed by assuming it was Canadian hawkweed, until last year a closer look revealed something quite different.

6. llfield

llfield Member

Now that I know what Woodland Madia (Anisocarpus madioides; Woodland Tarweed) looks like, I have seen it everywhere throughout the woods of Old Point Farm on the west end of Saturna. Still blooming now. And yes, lots of Goodyera among the forest moss. A portion of Old Point Farm is a forest covenant with mature second growth fir and large arbutus.