Identification: Yellow Magnolia - Elizabeth of Butterflies?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by westcoastgarden, Apr 4, 2010.

1. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

I planted this magnolia about four years ago to replace another yellow magnolia (in a different location) that bloomed and then abruptly died after four years (I still don't know why). I think the first one was "Elizabeth" and this one is "Butterflies" but I am not positive. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

This is 'Elizabeth'.

Attached Files:

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yours does have the general appearance of 'Butterflies', which was probably named in reference to the somewhat short flowers evoking butterflies with their wings folded up, sitting on the branches.

Otherwise, note that a number of yellow magnolia hybrids have been named and put on the market in recent years. One would have to assemble a comprehensive collection of reliably identified specimens, grow them near one another and study them closely to be able to even begin to tell them all apart.

But 'Butterflies', 'Elizabeth' and 'Yellow Bird' are among the most often seen ones at outlets here. I can tell those three apart quite easily.

You may have lost your 'Elizabeth' to lilac blight (Pseudomonas).

4. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking around at the nurseries and between that and the responses here I am pretty sure it is Butterflies. We are moving so I bought another little one to plant in the new yard. I will have to wait another few years before I have blooms again. :-( Oh well.