yellow leaves

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by amaneser, Apr 7, 2009.

1. amaneser

amaneser Active Member

Im just curious about something. I have been reading book after book and site after site trying to learn as much as i can. My grandmother purchased 4 trees from the local nursery. The leaves have started to yellow. It seems to be the newest ones. After reading it could be numerous things. Too much water, not enough, lack of nitrogen. My question is how do you rule out one or the other. I know when you first plant you are to water frequently until established. The one i got from the nursery is fine but i didnt out it in the ground. Just a larger pot. Thanks for the help. I do know that she uses fertilizer for everything. Alwyas buys miracle grown. The slow release kind.

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

what kind of trees?? located where at in az?? what is soil composition?? what is drainage of the soil??

when the trees were planted, what was done with the rootball?? were the roots spread out a bit or were they left compacted??

usually, fertilizing isn't recommended (for anything) until the plant/tree has gotten past the transplant shock and the roots have become re-established.

i would think some loss of leaves would be normal shortly after transplanting...it's a shock, for one thing and any plant/tree will do what it needs to to conserve energy - i.e. drop leaves so energy/nutrients can go to the roots to produce more growth there and, once things are situated again, the leaves will start to regrow. further, if the trees were in a store and weren't getting completely ideal lighting and were moved immediately into full sun conditions, you'd have more shock because the trees weren't eased into the new situation and more shock equals more loss of leaves.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Citrus trees do not conserve energy, by dropping leaves. It is the exact opposite, leaves are what manufacture the tree's energy. It is either age, deficiency, insects, or diseases, that cause leaf abscission.. When citrus leaves change color, usually some type of a yellow pattern, the tree is "talking" to you, it is telling you exactly what its problem is. Each problem has a different color pattern. If you know how to recognize the symptoms, it is normally not that difficult to understand what is happening to the tree, and how to correct it. Also the type of leaves, new or old leaves, are also signs of what the problem might be. At times a problem can be caused by two or more deficiencies, which can complicate things. If you will put some pictures of your tree, especially close ups of the leaves, an answer can probably be given. - Millet (1,383-)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  4. joclyn

i didn't know that about citrus...learn something new every day!

5. amaneser

amaneser Active Member

The nursery that we have here is.....odd. She has made a "storage" area for all her trees. Its basically 6 poles in the ground all wrapped in plastic. When i went there the humidity was unreal. The trees never got direct sun, just filtered. I was sure that when we brought them home it would have some effect being in the sun. I was not there when she planted them so im not sure if she spread the roots out or not. The leaves that are yellow are the newest leaves. They are the same size as all the others just the last ones on the end of the branches. All of the trees are doing this. She bought valencia orange, ruby red, and tangelo. I can get some pictures for you. When i look at the leaves the whole thing is yellow, the veins, and all. None of them have fallen off, curled, or wilted. They are just turning yellow. Thanks so much.

6. bastrees

bastrees Member

How did your grandmother prepare the holes when she planted the trees, and how frequently and thoroughly is she watering them? Barbara

7. amaneser

amaneser Active Member

Im pretty sure she just dug a big hole then made a basin. She waters them everyday, thats why i thought they were yellow from to much water. I did go and get some pics. On some of the leaves the veins are still green but not on all of them. I will post them. Thanks

8. amaneser

amaneser Active Member

Here are the photos. Sorry they are not that good. It was windy that day.

Attached Files:

9. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

From reading your postings, and seeing the symptoms shown by the tree's leaves, which shows an iron deficiency, the slow release fertilizer your grandmother is currently using must not contain trace minerals. The leaves show a deficiency of iron. The leaf symptoms of a iron deficiency are: Iron deficiency always appears on the NEW leaves. Deficient leaves have green veins on otherwise a yellow leaf. Further, with iron deficiency, there is NO green boarder attached to the veins. If there is a green boarder attached to the veins, than it is a manganese deficiency (which your tree does not show). Treatment: apply an iron based solution to the root system. Do not apply iron as a foliar spray, iron as a foliar spray can be toxic to citrus leaves. You can find a Chelated liquid iron at any Home Depot, or good garden center. Good luck to this tree. - Millet (1,831-)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  10. amaneser

amaneser Active Member

Thanks a million. Now i know how to fix the problem. You are grrrrrrreat!

11. joclyn

great info, millet, thank you!!

good luck with the trees, amaneser!!