Year of the potato

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by Bookstore, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Bookstore

Bookstore Member

Since 2008 is the International Year of the Potato, I was wondering if we are celebrating
    the potato at UBC

Jim

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Jim i send the link in one italian forum ,result? "0 "reply !!so the logo it was made by italian designer,the agency FAO is in Rome but "0" reply....I'm afraid for this because the problem of the food in the world is important ;and potato is easy to cultive and to propagate,in war time (1939-45)my grand father propagate potato by peel....
    people of the G8 nations think that eat problems in the world ,is not G8 nations problems ,and potato is for this persons a poor food..this idea is a poor idea for me ,in global world ,one nation problem is one world problem .. but this easy idea is difficult to understand....but i think + for the future

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Unfortunately, no, not that I know of (at least here at the garden).

The Food Garden is going to have a few cultivars growing, but no more than any other here. We had a meeting in January re: the possibility of starting a garden bed with a new planting every year, but I don't think it's going to come to pass (and believe me, I was really pushing for it to be this year and to feature potatoes).

I suspect the best I'll be able to do is feature a few potato cultivars on Botany Photo of the Day come autumn (or spring, if people share photographs of potatoes from the southern hemisphere).

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I devoured some today.

;-)

5. alex66

potato is "figth horse" (cavallo di battaglia+0-)of fast food ....i eat potato every week ...is a good food ....;-)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  6. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

This got me thinking that there must be some good websites about potatoes. Wikipedia has quite a write-up:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato

But, the links below lead to whole sites about our wonderful friend Solanum tuberosum

The Potato Museum http://www.potatomuseum.com/

The Year of the Potato from the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations
    http://www.potato2008.org/

I haven't had time to explore these sites yet, but they sure look interesting at first view.

7. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Alex66,

Just an FYI on English. For the term "figth hourse" (cavallo di battaglia+0-) [literally battle horse] I think we would say "work horse".

8. alex66

Grazie Eric!

9. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

What a wonderful year to be celebrating potatoes! Next time I'm at market, I'll try to get some pictures. We mostly have the S. tuberosum "Atahualpa" here as a commercial spud, but there are occasionally farmers with heirloom varieties of S. andigena as well. They all look the same until you dig 'em up!