Worms in sand

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Maren Svien, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Maren Svien

Maren Svien Member

Greetings to anyone interested in worms. I have recently come back to gardening because we have a very barren side yard. When I dig, the earth is mainly sand and rocks with little real soil. I have been covering an are with a "comforter compost," but am not sure worms will crawl through all the sand to visit my garden. I got onto this post because someone else asked about amending soil with worms. My question--how can I tell what kind of sand this is, and how will the worms "know" and find my garden site? Help! Thanks.
    Maren Svien

2. needhelptoidtree

needhelptoidtree Member

I've seen worms in sandy soil, but only if it stays moist. I don't think the worms will stay anywhere that dries up as they would dessicate. However, if there are old logs or wet leaf litter, I am sure they would hide under these things. I believe worms move from one area to another on the surface when it rains, so I am sure they will find any suitable habitat during the next rain or so.

3. Maren Svien

Maren Svien Member

Thanks. So, even if we make up a worm-friendly area, and they don't like it, they can travel through the wet grass to find a new spot? If so, that is a comfort. What about the idea of making a worm "bed" in the center of the garden?

4. needhelptoidtree

needhelptoidtree Member

I'm no expert on worms, but I've raised some in buckets of peat in a basement, and I had a compost piles that lacked sufficient nitrogen to heat up. The compost pile was just a bunch of woodchips & leaves on top of a small amount of soil under an old carport (concrete). As long as the material was damp, it had lots of worms in it. The worms I am most familiar with are red wigglers (these are the ones I raised). The feed on the surface and need moisture. I think as long as they are moist and have organic debris on the surface to feed upon, they should live anywhere. As I said before, they were happy in a bucket of peat that I sprinkled food onto daily. They reproduce like crazy in such conditions. Outside I see worms on the move anytime it rains, so yes, I think they can move to more suitable habitat. I also find them under and in old rotting logs and leaf litter when the soil gets drier.

Google raising earthworms and you can learn a lot about earthworms lifestyles and commonly raised species.

5. Maren Svien

Maren Svien Member

Thank you, so much. I have been afraid of worms since I waalso used corners of the new gars a little girl--they were thrown at me, often. Now, I am learning that they are amazing little critters, and so necessary to the life of good soil. I have laid down about 2 inches of newspaper--browns, 3 inches of fresh grass clippings--nitrogen--greens-- and covered with some finished compost--browns--. This fall, I will add shredded leaves. I am hoping news gets around in the worm world. I have garden den site for trench composting of kitchen goods. Someone needs to visit and pass the word along. I was thinking of buying a batch from the fish bait shop--red wrigglers, once I've provided a happy environment for them. Never thought I'd be longing for worms! I will lay down some logs (we use wood for heat) and see if that won't provide some shelter, too. Your advice is well-taken!
    Maren

6. needhelptoidtree

needhelptoidtree Member

Sounds great Maren. If I could persuade you to consider one other thing, it would be to look up building a brushpile. A brushpile would provide habitat for not only worms, but a variety of other wildlife as well if you're interested in that sort of thing. Also remember worms can't live in a real compost pile, the heat would fry them, but they can definitely live in finished compost or "brown" materials that don't have enough "greens" to heat up very hot.

7. Maren Svien

Maren Svien Member

Thanks!
    I have another bin started and I was thinking that I would actually use that for a brush pile. We have four rabbits around here in the winter. I leave food out for them, and we feed tons of birds and squirrels. I had a brush pile and noticed it harbored the new bunnies in the spring. They made it their safe retreat. What else will live in a brush-pile?

8. needhelptoidtree

needhelptoidtree Member

Depending on the brish pile design, it can house anything up to the size of a fox. I'm including a link to more information on building an optimal brushpile. Best of luck!

brushpile guide