Worm Tea - how to store & use

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by lupin59, Nov 12, 2008.

1. lupin59

lupin59 Member

My colleague gave me some worm tea for my potted plants, but I am unsure how to use and store it. I'd say it is about a cup's worth and is right now in a plastic container sealed inside of a plastic bag (for transport). When I water, I'm not using a very large container, I'd say it's about a litre. I'm also interested in possible smell, since these potted plants are at work. ~ Thanks

2. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

I look forward to knowing as well. I have two gallons stored. Wintertime feeding does not stop; therefore, tea continues.......

3. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

There are many microbes in the tea, but are almost all asleep since they have no oxygen and very little "food" in your container. Some vendors of these products store them for long periods so hopefully your stuff will continue to be useful. I would at least keep it outside (assuming the fridge is off limits...would be at my place :-) to help the organisms to hibernate until applied to soil.

Regular "compost tea" is often very awake, biologically, and typically is used immediately, with great deterioration upon storage.

Your worm tea is different, being mostly an extract of worm poop, containing those sleeping microbes along with many soluble compounds that will benefit your plants. Still I would try to keep it cool until applied.

4. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

Agreed, mine stays in the garage.