Worm Composting

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by WormComposter, Jan 23, 2011.

1. WormComposter

WormComposter Member

Hi there,
    I'm new to the forum and also to gardening, but I spent most of last summer volunteering on organic garden farms in Ireland and Italy, and was totally inspired by that lifestyle. I live in a city now, Vancouver, and want to work toward creating a deck garden (no backyard to speak of) and also to have my own compost so I can create my own fertilizer and enriched soil.

Does anyone have any helpful hints for how to best utilize the deck space? I have both a south facing and north facing deck, so one gets tons of summer sun/heat while the other gets just late afternoon/sunset light. I'd like to grow tomatoes - how big of a pot would I need?

Also, I want to get a worm composter and have been considering the Worm Factory 360 that I saw on www.compostearth.com. Has anyone used this model before? Any thoughts?

Sorry for my random questions. I'm a little overwhelmed with all the possibilities... But it's still January...lots of time to get prepped...

2. roneill

roneill Active Member 10 Years

3. juaneeka

juaneeka Member

Hi There, yes I've seen that model before on www.unclejimswormfarm.com but I'm afraid it's not a worm factory or a bin. It's just a compost tumbler, it can be tilted down easily which is not advisable for keeping worms in as the worms will be disturbed all the time and might not feel comfortable staying in there.

Here, you can take a look at these worm bin designs from uncle jim's: Worm Bin Outdoor Composters

Let me know what you think is suitable for your start up garden from those products here in this thread. Glad to help!

4. lkailburn

lkailburn Active Member

exactly! we made 2 out of those 5$ plastic tote bins(about 2.5'x2.5'x2.5') with lids and LOTS of holes drilled in them. We feed them salad scraps, coffee, tea and eggshell scraps mostly. Just don't feed them meat or dairy from what i've heard. and then also make sure it's moderately moist, and has a big bulky layer of shredded newspaper, junk mail and cardboard. We empty it probably about twice a year but it kind of depends on how many worms you have and how quickly they are eating through everything. Also, the smaller you chop up the scraps before feeding them the quicker they'll eat through it. The best part of it is they don't stink at all! you open the lids and it just smells like newspaper and dirt. We keep ours in our townhouse basement.

-Luke