Worm compost fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by crkt, Jul 10, 2009.

1. crkt

crkt Member

Hi so I'm a pretty new gardener, just started my first one this spring and its doing great I have already made a couple harvests. My question is about feeding my corn, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and jalapenos. so far I have used a little bit of organic vegetable fertilizer but mostly worm juice from my worm composter (looks a little like this http://www.rainshadowgardensblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/red-with-lid.jpg) If you don't know how it works, basically I just put alot of old scraps in the top and when the worms are finished what comes out the bottom is a dark brown liquid fertilizer and rich worm poo

I haven't been messing with the compost itself, just mixing in some "worm juice" in my watering can each time I water them (usually about 10-20 ounces). It seems like there's no way it could really be harmful to the plants to do it so often but am I wrong? Or is there a more efficient way to be using it? like a whole lot at once instead of just a little bit each time? thanks for the help

2. Kamiry

Kamiry Member

The instructions I was given at a worm class were 1 part compost tea to 10 parts water. Otherwise you "burn" your plants. That's what I've been doing. I would love to know what kind of nutrient proportions the stuff has though... Anyone?