Wisteria and brick wall

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by troiano, Jun 19, 2009.

1. troiano

troiano Member

I've decided to replant a Wisteria plant, to the front of my garage wall. Its all brick. My question is, will the plant be able to climb up a flat wall, or will it need something to hold onto, besides the wall?

This is an American Wisteria, and while it will still require attention, I understand its not as agressive as its Asian cousins. Just wanted to make sure it would be able to climb?

2. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

You'll need to give it something to cling to. This can be something quite simple -- a fairly sturdy line hanging from a masonry nail, for instance. Then at the height you want it to reach, you could run another like or wire horizontally. Alternatively, you could fasten some kind of trellis to the wall -- mount it so that it is at least a couple of inches out from the wall itself, so that the plant can easily twine its way through the slats.

Wisteria gets pretty heavy, as climbers go, so whatever support you choose should be pretty sturdy.

3. troiano

troiano Member

On a similar but seperate note, when growing wisteria up a pergola on my deck, will I need to tie or so something to get it trained up the support pole? I posted the below photo in a different thread. The plant on the center post is going to be moved. I bought a Chinese Wisteria plant, and am going to plant in that spot. The plant arrived in a 3 gallon pot, and has vines that is already at least 8 foot. I assume I will have to take those long runs, and tie them up and around the support post, until they reach the top?

Attached Files:

4. debs garden

debs garden Member

I braded several mainstarters and gave mine a sturty base cut back and train or you will have a wild thing

5. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Just to add some information to this thread - a word of caution...

These suckers can get tremendously heavy - do not underestimate them! Over the years, they can pull down a wooden structure no problem - particularily one left unpruned!

: O

Metal staking is recommended, not wooden. They can choke plants or even other trees in their path, so be careful.

I am going to keep mine pruned back hard.

: )

Attached Files:

6. troiano

troiano Member

I actually didnt research before I planted. Originally I planted 5 American Wisteria. Since then have removed one of them, and added a Chinese Wisteria, which I am hoping will dominate. Then I will remove the Last 4 American Wisteria. I love the look of the Chinese Wisteria. The plant I bought was very large, and was long enough for me to tie to the railing. As soon as I know it took to being put there, Im going to remove the others, and do something else with them.

7. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I wonder how Japanese florabunda and Chinese Wisteria grow together? I have both.

Very interesting - all this wisteria talk.

: )