winterizing potted grape veins

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by wendyschatz, Jul 17, 2006.

1. wendyschatz

wendyschatz Member

I live in Munich on the top floor of a building with a very large balcony that gets sun most of the day. This summer I have planted in large long pots 3 grape veins that seem to like taking over the trellises. I know that most plant in the ground and not in pots on a balcony. So what should I do to prepare these babies for the winter?

2. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hello Wendy,

After a quick google search, it looks as though temperatures in Munich rarely dip below freezing. If this is the case then there is little concern about the roots freezing, or the plants heaving from freezing and thawing, otherwise I would recommend an insulated pot or other form of protection. It sounds as though your pots cannot easily be moved to a more protected location. If this is the case, and I am correct in my assumptions about the temperature, then I am sure that your plants will be fine where they are.

Here is a link which describes how to prune grape vines. There is little concern about pruning your plants hard. Wait until late winter, just before the buds break, and prune back to a couple live buds.

Raakel

3. wendyschatz

wendyschatz Member

Thank you Raakel,
    This bit of info is just what I needed to hear. I hope that our up coming winters are not as harsh as last years. We had a meter of snow and quite a few weeks of below freezing.
    This is a great forum for a "wan-a-be" city gardener like myself.......wendy