Winter growers question

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Toni, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Toni

Toni Member

Hello every body! i´m new here. Very nice to find an especific place for caudiciforms!

I would like to know wich season is the better to make sow seeds of winter grower species. I have seeds of idria columnaris, fouqueria splendens and diguetii, pachycormus discolor and a few othonna. I live in Barcelona, Spain, so, now is winter time for me... Every opinion is wellcome!

Thanks!

Toni

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Typically, seeds need warm soil to germinate, so you can use a heat mat and a grow light to get them started. I would not worry about the winter/summer grower issue. The seeds do not know what season it is. It is not until they are exposed to temperature and light cycles as young plants that their genetics decide when to grow or go dormant.

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

I hear it snowed recently in the south of Spain.... not so great for the citrus and semi-tropicals....

4. Toni

Toni Member

Hello,

thanks for your answers. An experienced collector told me that winter growers must be sowed in autum or winter as they need low temps to germinate. Anyway, i preared my seeds and they sowing very well, even with minimum temps of 1-2º Celsius in my greenhouse.

Best wishes, Toni