Winter Blooming Flower - Ranunculaceae

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by vitog, Feb 2, 2013.

1. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Does anyone know the name of the member of the Ranunculaceae growing in the winter section of the garden just southwest of the amphitheatre? It has a cluster of small spherical, yellow flowers growing close to the ground near some scattered Cyclamen coum.

I was happy to find this area, which I hadn't noticed before, because construction of the amphitheatre had destroyed a large part of the winter garden.

2. Nadia White Rock

Nadia White Rock Well-Known Member 10 Years

It is Eranthis-hyemalis in Winter garden
    Other blooming flowers in North garden -
    tiny Cyclamen coum in many places, at least 4-5 Helleborus sp. in bloom now, Galanthus elwesii, some areas with Galanthus are not labeled, I assumed there are many different sp., very cute and both tiny Narcissus cv. Cedric Morris and Narcissus asturiensis, Primula vulgaris ssp. sibthorpii, no crocuses yet.
    And all sp of Sarcococca are in bloom in both gardens. I counted at least 5 different sp. The garden looks unusually without colors but some areas surprise with winter-spring signs of bashful bloom. And many blooming now plants have pleasant smell, viburnum, lonicera, hamamelis, camellia, chimonanthus and etc.

Attached Files:

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Thanks, Nadia. I'll see if I can get bulbs for these at Gardenworks; although I'll probably have to wait for the fall bulb season.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Perhaps there are some potted ones on the market, at this time down here there are lots of potted spring-flowering bulbs on display at local outlets.

However, I am not sure I have ever seen Eranthis presented in this way. Call your favorite outlet(s) and ask, you may turn some up.