wind breaks

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by moyadelahoya, Apr 17, 2008.

1. moyadelahoya

moyadelahoya Member

Looking for an alternative to cedar for a windbreak.
    We are on farm land and the winds here can reach upwards of 80 km.
    We are directly across from the river which also brings temps down but we have loads of sun.
    We have drainage going in but a thirsty tree would do well were we are thinking about planting.
    I asked about eucalyptus but it seems the cold temps and wind wouldn't help.
    Bamboo has been suggested also.
    I know nothing about horticulture but I want to make sure that what we plant works obviously.
    How much do mature fruit tress go for and would they be suitable?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Read up on wind breaks before investing much. Soils damp in winter do not do much for tree growth, it is the summer situation that counts. If the site puddles in winter and then dries out in summer - a common combination in this region - then you will have to select trees and shrubs* that will tolerate winter wet and at least water them for establishment during the summer, if not later as well.

If there are native or naturalized kinds growing nearby under the same conditions that could hint at what would work in a planting.

*Best to gradually lift the wind with a wide windbreak using shorter shrubs at the front and then building in rows to the tallest trees at the back.

3. Olafhenny

Olafhenny Active Member 10 Years

See my post under "Rooting pussy willows", also on the Hot Board and do the same with poplars. If you can round up some sticks of lombardy poplars, it would be best. They grow like wildfire and should provide wind shelter faster than anything. They love water, so there is no need to worry about the ground being too soggy, unless it is permanently saturated. Lombardies provide little protection in winter though and tend to get messy in their old age. I would therefore plant the sticks about 6' c/c and between them some evergreens, which will be plenty big enough to take over, when it is time to get rid of the poplars.
    For additional information see: http://www.cdr3.com/lombardy/ , but do not fall for buying the plants, if you can scrounge some sticks, as I said in the other post: The bigger, the better!
    Good luck!
    Olaf