Will larkspurs bloom this year if I sow seeds now?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by solst, Apr 29, 2016.

1. solst

solst Member

I've read about ways to sow larkspur, some say in fall, some say the seeds need to be refrigerated, so what's the best way to sow larkspur seeds, will they flower this year if I sow them in may? Thanks.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Larkspur . . . depends on what you have in mind?
    Consolida sp. Consolida - Bing images or Delphinium sp. delphinium - Bing images ? Delphiniums are perennial, Consolidas annual.

Annuals always bloom in their first – and only – year of life.

Perennials often start blooming in their second year, occasionally even later than that.
    I doubt that Delphiniums sowed that late in spring will bloom in their first year. They may be could, if started much earlier.

3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

One more thought re. Delphiniums: I can't say if they require cold stratification. If I were you I would check, using a few seeds, if they can sprout without stratifying. If they couldn't, I would refrigerate them in winter and after that would sow them in the spring. Or I would sow them outside in the fall, so they could get their chilling there.

solst likes this.