Will Deer Eat Smaragd Thuja?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by tragoesser, Apr 13, 2007.

1. tragoesser

tragoesser Member

I'm considering plating these thuja as a hedge but need to know first whether deer bother them. I'd appreciate any advice on this.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I don't remember if I have seen this cultivar eaten. Probably I have because on some sites in our region 'Fastigiata' is eaten down almost to nubs below a certain height.

3. victoriarose

victoriarose Member

You may consider Taxus (Yew) hedge rather than Thuja, not only is it more likely to be deer resistant it is also more drought tolerant and less demanding of nutrients.

4. kia796

kia796 Active Member

I recently heard of a European release that is deer resistant, yet can't find anything on the internet. Someone heard about it on CBC.

It was apparently called Giant. Sorry I have nothing definitive on it.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Deer will eat any plant, if they feel like it. They also often have individual tastes; a plant that is left untouched in one area or at one time, may be eaten bare in another place or at another time. So the answer to the headline question is "yes in some places, possibly not in others, but don't rely on it".

Kia - I think you're thinking of Thuja 'Green Giant'. This has been claimed by some to be deer resistant, but others have found otherwise, experiencing heavy browsing of it.

6. kia796

kia796 Active Member

That's it, MichaelF (how is it you always know what I'm thinking?!? ha ha).
    So Green Giant has proven ineffective.
    Too bad.
    I'm getting tired of looking at my "cedar cages"

Attached Files:

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Telepathy ;-)

Well, it's the only Thuja I know of with "giant" in its name!

Try some wolves instead!

8. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Or Livestock guardian dog. They can be taught to eject the unwanted deer without harming them. My solution here is to plant my trees in a run between two fences or if in the middle of the paddock I have made large wire squares with star pickets (steel posts) and used a strong dog mesh on it so heads can't get in. My animal of choice are donkeys and goats and they are God's lawn mowers with the geese a close second. You might also consider electric fencing on the perimeter of your area. There are many sorts from battery to mains. The mains variety are good for big animals such as cows. Not sure how big yr deer are. The battery operated ones using a tape are effective for most animals. Usually one wack cures them of trying again particularly if you have visible tape. Mind you you get a wack you will remember to turn it off when working near it. The trick with the whole set up is to make sure it is well earthed and not shorting out.

Liz

9. marileeq

marileeq Member

It's been my experience over the last 8 years that deer WILL eat anything - even things that are supposed to be poisonous or toxic. In our area this winter they have decimated Mugo Pine, as well as any cedars they can get their teeth on.

10. kia796

kia796 Active Member

marileeq...MUGO PINE ???? wow, deer have never so much as touched ours, obviously intent on decimating the cedars.

11. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Rubbing of antlers also a factor. Young conifers by themselves in the open seem to be favored for this.

Right after reading this thread earlier I saw a listing for Thuja plicata as "giant", reminding me that one of its common names is giant arborvitae.